Achari gobi ( pickled cauliflower)
Achari gobi ( pickled cauliflower) Recipe by Subhasmita Panigrahi
- 1 cauliflower medium (around 2 cup of florets)
- 1 onion medium chopped
- 2 tbsps mustard oil (vegetable oil can be susubstituted)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
- to taste salt
For the achari masala(pickilng sauce)
- 3/4 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp methi fenugreek /
- 1/2 tsp seed fenel
- 1/4 tsp kalonji / nigella
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing /
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp pickle favourite (optional but recommend it)
- Dry roast all the spices under achari masala except hing.Add hing to the roasted spices and grind to a coarse powder.
- Cut cauliflower into medium sized florets.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil till smoking hot. then reduce theflameto medium andadd the florets with pinch of salt.Saute until the florets are half cooked and slightly brown in colour. It should take around 8-10 mins.Once done remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan add remaining oil.Once oil is smoking hot reduce the flame to medium.
- Add chopped onion and fry for a minute.when it is softened and looks slightly brown, add ginger garlic paste.paste. Sauteuntil the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the ground spices,lemon juice and cook in medium heat until oil starts separating from the sides.
- Add greenchillies,cauliflower,salt and give it a good mix so that theflorets get coated nicely with spice mixture.
- Keep stirring frequently to prevent spice mixture stick to the bottom.If needed sprinkle some water to preventburning.
- Keeping the heat in low add whiskedyoghurt.Mix well.Cook in low heat until cauliflower is cooked through.
Notes: If adding store bought pickle,add it while adding the roasted cauliflower floret. Reduce the amount of lemon juice to 1/2 tbsp if adding store bought pickle.Also adjust salt,as the pickle adds some amount of tang and salt. This recipe in mildly spicy and tangy. If you want more pickle like taste then I would recommend adding some pickle to it.