This is my third post in a row for diwali. Am I bit more excited about Diwali ?? Not exactly. My Facebook is flooded with diwali related post, so even I am unable to think anything else other than Diwali. Eventually I joined the league and have been preparing few long pending recipes that I wanted to try .
This is one more experiment that went successful. I had these achari mathris for the first time during one of my photography assignment. We really liked them and the next thing I wanted to do was to give them a try at home. Mathri is such a popular North Indian snacks that it needs no introduction. The spicy and tangy Achari masala stuffing gives a nice little twist to it.
Now that we are going to have long weekend holidays, these little puris would be the best thing to munch along with evening tea.
Get some more Diwali special recipes here
- 5 - 6 red chilli Dry
- 1 tspn Coriander seed
- 1/4 tsp Kalonji onion Seeds /
- 1 tspn Mustard seeds
- 2 tspns Cumin seeds
- pinch Asafoetida a big
- 1 tsp Mango powder Amchur Dry /
- 1/2 tspns salt
- 1 tsp Pickle masala Readymade along with oil ( I used the garlic pickle )
- 1.5 cups All purpose flour Maids /
- 1/2 tspn seeds Carom
- 1/2 tspns black pepper ground
- 1/2 cup water
- to taste Salt
- For Preparing Masala : Dry roast all spices except Pickle masala in a pan on low heat till aromatic. Grind to a slightly coarse powder. Add ready-made pickle masala. Mix well. The mixture has to be just damp.
- In a bog bowl add maida,sooji,ajwain,black pepper powder,salt. Mix well. Then add ghee/oil. Rub the mixture using both the hands. The mixture should look crumbly.
- Slowly start adding water. The dough should be tight and on little bit dry side. Let it rest covered for 15-20 minutes.
- In a deep pan heat enough oil.
- Knead the dough again for a minute.Pinch small balls out of the dough. Make a small spacein the middle using finger.Fill 1/4 tsp of achari masala. Press in between two hand to flatten the balls to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a fork prick the flatten puris 2-3 times. Repeat the same step with rest of the dough balls.
- Once the oil is medium hot,slowly slide 4-5 puris at a time to the hot oil. Reduce flame to low.Deep fry flipping them in between till both the sides turns golden brown.
- Once done, drain excess oil and place them on a tissue paper.Let it cool on a plate and then place in a air-tight container.
1.Don't over fill the mathri's. else while frying the stuffing might come out.
2.While preparing the dough no need oof kneading the dough for too long. We don't want a smooth dough here.