Odiya style anda tadka. A comforting, Protein rich dal with scrambled egg i.e egg bhurji. This contained an assortment of dal cooked with spices,green chilies. Anda tadka is commonly available at Dhabas in Odisha and a few other parts of India as well. Smoky flavourful dal (lentils), egg bhuriji with a good amount of green chillies and coriander leaves.
I love dhabas and the kind of rustic flavourful dishes they offer. I remember those days in college when traveling home for vacations, the buses used to stop near dhabas for dinner. Channa masala, Dal fry, Anda tadka used to be part of the routine order every time. Even now at home, we make this at least once in a week.
This recipe calls for different varieties of dal. Most of the time due to the shortage of one or other kind of dal, I used to make them with whatever is available at home. But that is history now. After I started using Big Basket app, ordering groceries online has become hassle free. Ordering your food staples is just a tap away now. I am really impressed with the entire process that BB work with after you place an order with them. Starting from order confirmation message, on-time delivery to post delivery customer feedback, BB ensures that you have an excellent experience. And have you checked their combo offers on staple foods like rice,dal,oils etc yet? It is really value for money.
Now coming to the recipe it is really up to you what kind of dals (lentils) and in what ratio you use them. Usually tuvar dal is not used or used very less . But I like to add tuvar dal. If you don't want you can increase chana dal and green moong dal quantity little bit and leave tuvar dal. This dosen't calls for any exotic ingredient and totally fits in your daily menu. This goes best with some hot phulkas (rotis) or Parathas.
This recipe makes about 6-8 servings. You can half the recipe as per your need.
- 1/3 cup chana dal
- 1/3 cups moong dal whole green
- 1/4 cup dal Tuvar/Arhar (optional)
- 1/4 cup rajma (red kidney beans)
- 1/4 cup urad dal whole
- 1 tej bay leaf patta/
- cinnamon small stick of
- 1 onion large
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes medium
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- to taste salt
- 2 tsps kasuri methi dry
- 2 - 3 green chillies chopped or cut lengthwise
- 1/2 tbsp ginger juliennes(thin long strips of )
- coriander leaves fresh
- 3 - 4 eggs
- Soak whole green moong dal, rajma overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Soak chana dal and urad dal for one hour.
- In a pressure cooker add tuvar dal and rest of the dal. Add pinch of turmeric, tej patta,cinnamon stick. Cook till done.
- In a big pan add 2 tbsp oil. Let it heat. Add chopped onion.Fry till light brown in colour.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes are done and cooked through.
- Add cumin powder,coriander powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Fry till the oil starts to separate from onion tomato mixture.
- Add cooked dal. Add garam masala. Add water as per the consistency needed. Bring everything to a boil.
- Just before switching off the gas crush kasuri methi in between your both the palms,sprinkle over dal. Stir in julienned ginger and chopped green chillies.
- Switch off the gas and keep aside.
- In another pan heat 1 tbsp oil. In a bowl crack 3-4 eggs . season with salt and . add to the pan. let it cook for a minute. then scramble the eggs and break any bigger pieces. (As the dal already contains spices I keep scrambled egg simple).You can customize this as per you preference too).
- Add scrambled egg on top of dal before serving. Garnish with chopped coriander leave.