Baingan/Brinjal/EggPlant is cooked in various forms be it something Indian or Italian. It is a must have vegetable in my pantry.I use them in curry,simple stir fry with potatoes,Slice and pan fry them
One of my favourite is stuffed eggpalnt. This is my mother's recipe. Simply love stuffed eggpalnt for the delicious stuffing. The stuffing is a beautiful combination of spices
Bharwan baingan(stuffed eggplant with indian spices)
- 500 gms brinjals (small)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Handful curry leave fresh
- 2 tbsps Coriander seeds
- 2 tbsps Chana dal bengal gram /
- 2 tbsps peanuts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 - 10 red chilli dry
- 6 - 7 pods garlic
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 onion small
- ⅓ cup coconut fresh grated
- 1.5 tbsps tamarind juice
- to taste salt
- Heat 2 teaspoon oil.Add Chana dal and peanuts. Fry in medium heat for 1 minutes.
- Add Coriander seeds,cumin,dry red chillis,garlic pods,ginger.fry for couple of minutes.
- Add onion and fry till it almost look transparent.Add grated coconut and fry till coconut is light brown in colour.
- Cool down the mixture.Grind together the roasted spices,tamarind juice,jagerry and salt to taste.
- Cut brinjal into for part keeping the stem intact.(hold the stem and cut).
- Stuff all the brinjals with ground paste.
- In a wide pan heat 3 tablespoon oil.Arrange all the brinjals in a single layer. Speard any left over stuffing on the brinjal.
- Sprinkle curry powder and curry leaves on top.Adjust seasoning.Cover and let it cook in lowest flame.
- Turn the brinjal in between.Sprinkle some water in between to prevent burning.
- Cook till brinjal is cooked through.