This post may include affiliate links that earn us a small commission.
These buttermilk crackers are super crisp and taste great with sesame seeds in them along with flavours of garlic and cumin. A delicious cheesy tomato dip to go with them.
“Crackers” !!! this musical word has always fascinated me. Wait..I am not talking about diwali crackers. I am talking about these crunchy, munchy, and absolutely addictive buttermilk crackers. These crackers are easy to prepare and satisfy your urge to munch something in between meals. Pair it with your favourite dip and there you go.
Flavours In Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes straight to your inbox
I came across this beautiful blog of Joanne fifteenspatulas, full of beautiful recipes. After seeing the simple ingredient that went into these crackers, I could not stop myself from trying. She has explained the recipe in details. For step wise instructions clicks here.
I have tweaked the recipe little bit and added roasted cumin powder and roasted garlic toit. I paired it with creamy and cheesy tomato dip. Had some home-made sun dried tomato in the pantry ,screaming loudly to put in use. Mixed the tomatoes with some cheese spread and spices. And the duo of cracker and dip were just amatch made in heaven.
Buttermilk crackers with cheesy tomato dip
- 1 + ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1.5 tsps sugar
- pinch baking soda
- 1 tsp cumin roasted powder
- 2 - 3 pods garlic roasted , minced
- 80 gms butter cold , cubed
- ½ cup buttermilk + 2 tbsps
- 1 egg , beaten
- sesame seeds chilli salt , flakes & for sprinkling
For Tomato Dip
- ½ cups cheese spread creamy
- handful tomato sun dried
- 1 pod garlic
- red chilli dry flakes as per taste
- pinch sugar
- to taste salt
- Preaht oven to 170 degree.
- Add all the dry ingredients flour,salt,sugar,cumin powder,roasted garlic in a big bowl.
- Add cold cubed butter to dry ingredients and rub it using your hand till the mixture resemblesbread crumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in buttermilk.Mix using a spatula just untilthe liquid is incorporated.(Donu2019t over mix else you will end with chewy crackers)
- On a parchment paper sprinkle flour, shift the mixture to it and shape it into asquare(it will help in rolling the dough to a perfect square). Sprinkle some more on top.
- Refrigerate at least for 1- 2 hrs.Take out the dough and using a rolling pin roll the dough as thin as possible.
- Shift the rolled dough along with the parchment paper.flour, shift the mixture to it and shape it into a square(it will help in rolling the dough to a perfect square). Sprinkle some more on top. Refrigerate at least for 1- 2 hrs.
- Take out the dough and using a rolling pin roll the dough as thin as possible. Shift the rolled dough along with the parchment paper.
- Note: If it sticks,sprinkle little flour on top.
- I divided the dough to two parts.While working with one portion,keep the other in the refrigerator.
- Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle the toppings. Prick here and there randomly using a fork.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (rotating the tray in between) or until it look golden brown in colour.
- Break into shards and serve with dip.
- For dip add all the ingredients into a food processor and make a paste.Adjust seasoning as per taste.