This post may include affiliate links that earn us a small commission.
Spicy smoky chili is our all time favorite. Today I am going to share one variation of this hearty stew. This aromatic Chipotle chicken chili with cauliflower and kidney beans is a meal in itself and perfect for the winter. Cauliflower and chicken complements each other beautifully. We had this stew along side some cilantro lime rice.
Flavours In Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes straight to your inbox
To get the authentic test of any recipe you ought to use the right ingredients. A simple chocolate cake tastes delicious only when you use a very good quality chocolate. Italian pasta and other dishes are incomplete without a good amount of parmigiano-reggiano cheese grated on top. Similarly when it comes to a good chili, the smoky earthy flavour makes the dish complete and close to authentic.
I had tasted chili first in a mexican restaurant and we quite liked it. When I searched internet for a good recipe many called for chipotle or smoked paprika. As we don’t get chipotle chili powder her in India, my best substitute was chili powder. We did like the homemade version but still there was a lack of punch.
Few days back while searching for some spice I came across Chipotle Mexican Chili powder here. I have seen the usage of Chipotle chili powder in many mexican recipe and I badly wanted to know how different this is from other chili powders. It has an intense smoky flavour and the chili powder was literally looking burnt. Find more about Chipotle Chilis here . This is going to be my pantry staple from now on. If you are thinking about Mexican you can not just skip Chipotle.
Cauliflower Chicken Chili
- 300 gms Chicken breast boneless
- 1 cup Cauliflower (Cut into small florets)
- ½ cup red kidney beans cooked
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 - 6 pods garlic of
- 1 jalapeno pepper , sliced
- 1 Onion large
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5 - 6 plum tomatoes red
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 2 tspns Cumin Powder
- 1 tspn Oregano Dried
- 2 tsps chipotle chili powder paprika / Smoked
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 - 3 cups chicken stock
- to taste Salt pepper and
- Cilantro Fresh
- Sour Cream
- Cheese Mexican Blend
- Lemon wedges
- In a big pot bring water to boil. Add some salt. Using a sharp knife give sharp but not so deep slits on tomatoes. Add tomatoes to the boiling water and cook till the outer skin starts to loosen. After 20 minutes switch off the gas and let it cool. (You can also use equal quantity of canned tomatoes)
- Cut chicken breast into small cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a pan add 1 tbsp oil. Once hot add Chicken cubes. Stir fry till lightly golden brown(about 3-5 minutes).Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan add another tablespoon of oil. Add Cauliflower florets. Season it with little salt. And fry them till golden brown in colour. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan add remaining oil. Add bay leaf followed by Minced garlic. Once the garlic is aromatic add chopped jalapeno followed by chopped onions. Cook till they look soft and light golden brown in colour.
- Add chopped peppers and cook till soft.
- While the peppers are cooking remove the skin from blanched tomatoes. Roughly chop them and reserve all the juices.
- When peppers are done add chopped tomatoes along with its juice, tomato paste. Cook for a minute. Then add cumin powder,Chipotle,paprika and Oregano. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Then add Cooked beans,Cauliflower florets and chicken cubes. Add chicken stock. Check the seasoning and add salt pepper accordingly.
- Close the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with Chopped fresh coriander leaves and top it with avocado,dollop of sour cream and shredded mexican blended cheese(I didn't have sour cream and cheese on hand).Serve along side some Cilantro lime rice/Nachos/Rustic bread.