If you belong to southern part of India then you must be aware of these variety of chillies.These are called Ooty chilli or Milagai chilli widely used for bajjis(fitters). These chili bajji's tastes great with a hot cup of tea in a rainy day. We do indulge in bajjis once in a while at home but with a sense of guilt attached to it because of the amount of oil in it. But I can't stop myself from buying these chillies specially when they are fresh. After giving a thought I came up with this baked version of chili. These are no where close to bajjis but they are surely delicious. Stuffed with chicken and topped with cheese. The stuffing is very versatile you can make the chicken stuffing with different combination of spices.Even cheese is very much optional. The cornmeal gives a nice twistvto the crust. So can I say that these are much healthier than deep fried bajjis?
We had these with harissa ketchup. Again harissa ketchup is a nice variation to the regular ketchup.Didn't i tell you I use harrisa at lot of places? You can find the recipe hereharissa roasted baby potatoes. Mix a tablespoon of harissa to ketchup and get an entirely different dipping sauce
Chicken stuffed baked chilli peppers
- 5 - 6 Chillis (light green and big ones)
- ¾ cup chicken minced
- 1 tsp garam masala (I used chicken masala)
- 1 tbsp coriander heaped chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- ½ tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- to taste salt
- ½ u2013 ¾ cups cheddar cheese grated
For coating chillies
- 2 tbsps cornmeal (not cornflour)
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- paprika to dust on top
- Pre-heat oven at 200 degrees c.Generously grease a baking tray.
- Slit green chillies lengthwise,remove seeds and keep aside. Mix rest of the ingredients except cheese for chicken stuffing.
- In a tray mix cornmeal,flour,salt and chilli powder.
- In another container (should be wide enough to dip chillies lengthwise) put the beaten egg.
- Dip each chilli(only the outer side) into egg and coat nicely with cornmeal mixture and arrange on the prepared tray with cavity side up.
- After all the chillies are dipped and coated mix the remaining egg to the chicken stuffing mixture.Yes I don't want to waste the leftover egg.Moreover we need a binding agent for the stuffing.
- Fill the chicken mixture into the cavities.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes.Remove from oven, top chillies with grated cheese and dust paprika on top of it.
- Grill/broil again for 5 -8 minutes at 250 degree c.