Want a break from regular biryanis or pulao then give a try to this chicken tikka pulao.Char grilled chicken adds a nice little twist and aroma to regular pulao. Mildly spicy yet quite flavourful
If you want to change the marinade as per your choice, go ahead!!You can also prepare this with any leftover roast chicken/tandoori chicken
Chicken tikka pulao
- 500 gm chicken cut into medium size pieces
- 10 chillies seeds dry red removed (soaked in warm water for 20 mins )
- 1 onion small
- 1 inch ginger
- 10 pods garlic
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp curd thick
- ½ tsp garam masala
- half lemon juice of
- 2 cups basmati rice (soaked for 20 minutes and drained)
- 8 cups water
- 3 tbsps ghee / oil
- 1 bay leaf large
- 3 cardamom green
- 1 cardamom black
- 1 tsp black peppercorn
- 5 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 - 5 green chillies cut lengthwise
- to taste salt
- ½ cup onions mint coriander leaves golden fried , chopped and for garnishing
- Grind together the ingredients mentioned under ground to paste. 2.Marinate chicken with the ground paste preferably overnight or at-least 4 hours.
- In a grill pan heat 2 tbsp of oil.Once the pan is really hot grill marinated chicken 4-5 pieces at a time. Until the pieces are grilled and nicely charred.(Note: thaw the marinated chicken before grilling).
- In the same grill pan(if not large enough then in a separate container) heat 8 cups of water( this is optional but by heating the water in the same pan all the roasted spices in the pan will flavour the water).
- In another pan/pressure cooker heat ghee/oil.Slightly pound whole garam masala and add to the pan.Add greenchilliesand saute for for a minute.
- Add the drained rice. Carefully fry rice for 5-7 minutes.Don't stir frequently else the grains might break.
- Add garam masala,grilled chicken pieces,required amount of salt and hot water. Cook until rice is done.Use fork to separate the grains before serving. (Note: There is already salt in cooked chicken pieces so add accordingly in rice).