There is something about chocolate, isn't it? Be it a piece of plain dark chocolate or some exotic chocolate based dessert everyone loves chocolate.Even my 2 years toddler who is not so fond of anything sweet,can have a full bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk.
I had some beetroot which could not make into any curries. I wanted to use them in such a way that Mr D can't make out the beets.He absolutely hates beet and the moment I would have told that I am make chocolate cake using beets he would not have allowed me to do it. Yes, he hates beetroot to that extent.
It was also our 6th marriage anniversary. Me and D has completed 6 years of togetherness. He has been there beside me in every step of my life,a constant source of inspiration and support. We fuss and fight but at the end we love each other. Because we were travelling the next day and as it usually happens work gets piled at the last moment. I hardly had any time to prepare any elaborate meal. But the spacial occasion calls for at least a cake.
Chocolate Beetroot Cake
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 3 Beet Medium Sized root
- 3 eggs large
- ¾ cup butter Melted
- 200 gm dark chocolate good quality , chopped
For Chocolate Ganache
- 50 gms dark chocolate Good quality
- ¼ cup Cream (I used amul)
- 1 tsp Butter , at room temperature
- pinch salt small
- Pre-Heat oven to 180-degree celsius. Prepare a 9 inch round baking pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour,baking powder and cocoa powder in a big mixing bowl. Mix sugar well.
- Clean and chop beetroot to medium chunks. Blanch the chopped beetroot till half done. (Don't over cook the beetroot. it should still be crisp). Drain excess water and keep aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl add chopped chocolate.pour in butter. Warm it for 30 seconds. Stir using a spoon. Repeat this process until all the chocolate has melted.
- In a blender add cooked beetroot,eggs, cooled melted chocolate. Grind till it is smooth and no chunk of beetroot is there.
- Add the beetroot chocolate mixer to the dry ingredients. Mix until everything is mixed.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin. Bake for 30 mins at 180-degree celsius. Then reduce temperature to 160 degree and bake till a toothpick comes out clean.
- For ganache: Bring cream to a boil. Add chopped chocolate and salt to it. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Then using a whisk stir until all chocolate melts and its smooth. Add butter and mix well. The ganache should look smooth,shiny without any grains.
- Once the cake is done pour the chocolate ganache on the top.