Coorg style chicken fry : Aren't these legs looking yummy ?? These are juicy, spicy and with a wonderful flavour from "Kachampuli" aka Coorg Vinegar. This is the "vinegar" of the Kodava (Coorg) people in southwest India. It is made from slightly fermented juice of Gummi-Gutta fruit ,simmered down to a very dark syrup - very sour and with an earthy flavour.
This is a staple in a Coorgi Kitchen and is used as a souring agent for almost all the dishes. Apart from Chicken, It is also used with fish ,Pork and can be added to Rasam, Sambar(Learnt this from few foodies in FB ,I am yet to try though). One thing that I liked the most is the dark devilish colour it gives to the dish. But one thing I must warn you is this vinegar is really very very sour. So if you are using for the first time then please start with less quantity rather than feeling sorry later for adding a spoonful.
We were kind of new to the taste ,So I can't say we really loved the taste. We are yet to acquire the taste, so I am going to use in other dishes for sure.
Coorg Style Chicken Fry
- 6 Chicken drumsticks (Other pieces can also be used) - pieces
- 2 Onions Medium , chopped
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic
- Handful Curry leaves Fresh
- 2 - 3 Green chilli (as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- to taste salt
For Coorg Masala
- 3.5 tspns Coriander
- 10 Pepper corn ( I used around 15 for spicy version) Balck -
- 1.5 tspns cumin
- 1 tspns Mustard seeds
- 1 Cinnamon medium size stick
- 5 Cloves pieces
- ½ tspn Turmeric -
- In a pan dry roast all the spices mentioned under Coorg Masala (Except turmeric) until nicely brown but nut burnt. Let it cool and then add turmeric.
- Grind in a coffee grinder to a fine powder. (I kept it slightly coarse)
- Wash chicken.Make slits on the drumstick with a sharp knife. Add 2 tbsps of above-prepared masala and salt to taste. Marinate atlaest 1 hour or overnight.
- Thaw marinated chicken and bring to room temperature. In a pan add 1.5 tablespoon oil and heat it.
- On high heat sear the drumsticks for 5-8 minuts in batches ( 3 pieces first,followed by the rest ). The pieces should look slightly roasted outside.Keep aside.
- In the same pan add rest of the oil. When oil is hot add crushed curry leaves,folowed by choped Onion. Fry till brown. Add chopped Garlic. Fry till raw smell is gone.
- Add the seared Chicken drumsticks to the pan. Add chilli powder,Slitted green chillies (If using). Cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. (If we want more intense flavours, you can add rest of the masala powder as per taste at this point)
- Add Kachampuli. Give everything a good mix. Add 1 cup of water. Let it cook and allow the spices to come together. This
- Serve with white rice.