When it comes to baking I always follow a recipe to the 'T'.Yes I can't take the risk of playing with measurements when I bake and I havelearnedthis in a hard way. There were initial days of baking when I did not even know there exists cup and spoon measurements. As a consequence I used had disastrous out come while baking. Gradually I came to know how important it is to follow certain rules while baking
But after been baking for couple of years now I dare modifying the recipes to little extent like replacing all purpose of flours with other kinds,oil with butter,eggs with other suitable ingredients. I follow my instinct and do modify the recipes here and there
I had a bag of cornmeal lying in the pantry. While searching the net I came across these beautifulrosemary cornmeal cookiesfrom baking obsession. As the herb rosemary doesn't fascinate me,so replaced the rosemary with nigella seeds and roasted cumins,I also realised many of my readers are more interested for egg-less versions.So finally I ended up with these cookies which are salty,sweet and egg-less too
Cornmeal, nigella seed cookies (salted and eggless)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cups cornmeal (makkai ka atta)
- ½ + ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp seeds nigella
- ½ tsp cumin roasted crushed
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ⅓ cups sugar minus fine granulated 1 tbsps
- 100 gms butter at room temperature
- ¼ cups yoghurt
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degree.Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients flour,cornmeal,baking powder,baking soda,salt,nigella seeds,cumins and chilli flakes.
- In another medium bowl whisk butter till it looks fluffy and pale white in colour.
- Add sugar and whisk till sugar is mixed properly and the mixture looks fluffy.
- Add yoghurt ,whisk for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until everything is incorporated.(don't over mix).
- Roll into balls of equal size(The mixture might be slightly wet but can be handled by hand).
- Place the rolled dough balls in the prepared sheet one inch apart(the cookies will expand slightly while baking). With a fork dipped in flour press the cookies at the center and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 mins. Cookies might be little soft to touch at the centre,so don't get tempted to bake more time.