In odisha we call this 'Macha Besara', Macha means fish and besara is the mustard gravy. This fish curry is a variation to bengali fish curry in mustard sauce with some add on spices. One more thing that is unique to this is traditionally a piece of dry mango called 'ambula' is added to give the sourness. Basically 'ambula' is raw mango cut into half, marinated in salt and then sun dried till it is dry, Then it can be stored for a year or more than that. . Tomato can also be used with or without ambula
The pungent taste of mustard along with other spices, curry leaves make this dish delicious and flavorful
Fish in mustard sauce - spicy,tangy & creamy
- gms fish of fillets (preferably Rohu)
- 2 tsps haldi salt / &
- tomato large cut
- 1.5 cups water of for gravy
- a sprig curry leave of
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 half green chilli cut into lengthwise
- 2 tsps mustard seeds / black
For mustard paste
- tablespoon yellow mustard of
- 2 tbsps cumin /
- 2 tbsps coriander /
- 10 red chilli dry
- inch ginger
- 10 cloves garlic
- 4 / onions th of an
- Clean fish fillets. Add turmeric and salt.
- Heat a pan when the pan is really hot add 2 tbsps oil.
- Fry the marinated fish fillets for 1 minute each side until it is lightly golden brown.
- in colour.We are not going to roast them.
- Grind together mentioned ingredients for mustard paste to a smooth paste with little water.
- In a kadhai or pan heat the remaining oil.add the ingredient under seasoning starting with mustard.
- let it splutter.
- Add in the prepared mustard paste. saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for couple of minutes more.
- Add water. We do not want the gravy to be very thin. it should be of medium consistency.
- Once the water comes into rolling boil slowly add the fried fish pieces.
- Let it cook for 10 minute. Do not stir while the fish is getting cooked , it might break.
- Once done switch the stove off.
- Serve it with hot plain white rice.
- While frying fish the pan has to be hot else the fish may stick to the bottom.
- My mother uses black mustard and makes the paste lightly coarse to give a nice texture.
- If adding ambula ,first soak it for 10-15 minute in water then add when adding tomatoes.