When it comes to non-veg,I always give a second thought if the recipe is on sweeter side.When I came across this recipe in Donna Hay's magazine,I wanted to give a try.This one turned out to be a well balanced dish with right amount of sweet and spice.Apple cider vinegar add a nice fruity twist to it.I would say this is a must try appetizer for all chicken lovers
Fried chicken in sweet chilli sauce
- 500 gm chicken wings (I used assorted pieces)
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- to taste salt
- 1 tsp white pepper ground
- xbd cup flour plain (all-purpose)
- xbc cup cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water cold
- vegetable oil , for deep frying
For sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 4 tbsps sugar caster (superfine)
- 2.5 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp chilli flakes (if not hot enough can use upto 1 tbsp)
- 4 - 5 chillies whole dried
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts ,
- Marinate chicken with ginger,garlic,salt and pepper powder.Refrigerateatlest a hour.
- Mix allingredientmentioned under sauce except chillies and peanuts.
- Heat ina frying pan for 5-8 minutes on medium heat,till the sugar dissolves and thesauce is of thin syrupconsistency. Add the whole chillies and peanuts,cook further forcouple of minutes and keep aside the sauce.
- In a wide plate mix the flours and baking powder. In another deep bowl whisk togethercold water and egg.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.Dip each piece in egg mixture then toss it in flour mixture andcoat it evenly. Deep fry the coatedpiecesinmedium heat till they look nice golden brown in colour andnicely done.(Note: Fry in batches,don't over crowd the pan while frying).
- Heat a pan add the sauce,at this stage if you feel the sauce is too thick then add coupleof tablespoon of water. once the sauce is hot,toss the chicken pieces quickly,so thatall the pieces are nicely coated with sauce. Serve warm.