Kadhai chicken,butter chicken,chicken butter masala,punjabi chicken these are the few dishesthat will never go out of fashion. Once in a while we tend to crave for these. Same thing happened to me when I received Zaiqa spices from my sweet friend Anisa arif.She has some fabulous collection at her spice store Zaiqa the spice store. Some classic spice mixes like butter masala,tandoori masala,Biryani masala and lot more, which will make your life easy in kitchen
Last few days were the craziest with office deadlines and added to that my little one was not doing well. When i was little offloaded from my routine stuff the first thing i tried was the the Kadhai Jalfrazie Masala. Just loved the fresh aroma of the unique spice blend. Very much different from other commercial stuff we get from market. I paired them with some saffron potato flat bread. These yeasted flat breads were super soft because of the potato flakes added to it. They went really well with the spicy kadhai chicken
Kadhai chicken & saffron potato flatbread
For Kadhai Chicken:
- 500 gms chicken cut into medium pieces
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Masala kadhai Jalfrazi
- dash lemon juice
- to taste salt .
- 1 tbsp ginger,garlic green chilli and paste
- 2 tomatoes medium blanched and purxe9ed
- 1.5 tsps masala Zaiqa Kadhai
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 onions medium cut into big chunks
- 1/2 tsp methi kashoori
- 1 capsicum large cut in to chunks
- 1 tomato small diced
- coriander leave hand full of fresh
- half lemon juice of
- to taste salt
For Saffron and potato flat bread
- 1.5 to 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water boiling
- 1/8 cups potato dry flakes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp yeast instant
- 1/8 cup milk
- pinch saffron
- Chicken Kadhai
- Marinate chicken with the ingredient mentioned under marination. Refrigerate for couple ofhours.
- Thaw marinated chicken. Once it comes to room temperature grill them in a hot griddle pan.
- In batches,till they are almost done and look nicely charred. Keep them aside.
- In a big pan add oil,once heated add ginger garlic and chilli paste. Saute for couple of minutes.
- Add tomato purxe9e. cook till the the raw smell goes off and the oil starts to separate.
- Add kadhai masala,garam masala and kashoori methi. cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add grilled chicken pieces and onion chunks.Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add capsicum and tomatoes. at this point if you want to add some water for gravy thenyou can add.( ideally this a dry or semi gravy dish,so add just couple of table spoons).Cover and let it cook till the chicken is done.
- Before switching of the gas add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Grilling of chicken is optional but grilled ones give a nice smoky flavour to the final dish.
- Chicken can be replaced by paneer and vegetables for a veg option.
- If you don't have kadhai masala,then it once oil is hot add one bay-leaf,crush together 1 greencardamom,2-3 cloves,small piece ofcinnamon stick, 1black cardamom and add to oil.while adding spices(in step 5) instead of kadhai masala add red chilli powder to taste(as we already have green chilli),1/2 tsp cumin powder,1/2 tsp coriander powder,1/4 tsp fennel powder.
- Saffron and Potato Flat Bread.
- Place 1 cup of flour in to a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the flourand stir till smooth.Cover the bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile warm milk and add saffron to it.Let the saffron infuse in milk before adding other ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk together potato flakes,half cup remaining flour,salt,sugar,yeast and oil.
- Add the dry mixture to the flour paste and Knead until a smooth elastic dough is achieved.
- The dough will be little sticky but can be easily handled with oiled hands.So add extra flour only ifnecessary.
- Place the dough covered in an oiled bowl and let it rise for a hour or so.
- Once the dough is doubled in volume,punch the air out by kneading it for a while.
- Divide the dough to equal sized balls and let it rest for 15-20 minute covered.
- Roll each dough to a circle ( the breads will puff once cooked,so keep the thickness in mind while rolling).
- Heat a flat grid pan and cook the breads covered for 1 minute.flip them and cook for another minute uncoveredtill you see brown spots appearing on the bread.Store the breads stacked until served to keep them soft.