On the occasion of Makar Sankranti there are various types of sweets and savoury things prepared at home.In Andhra pradesh they prepare this vada called Masala Vada out of Chana dal/gram dal. This is also a very popular snacks and we get usually in street side stalls. There is a street side stall from where I get these vadas and they are lip smacking good. He serves it with a spicy chutney.One thing that is unique is he dusts these with a spicy and salty powder,which gives an extra kick to the vadas
- 1 Cup Chana Dal (soaked for 4 hrs)
- 1 tsp sooji rava semolina / /
- 1 tsp rice flour
- to taste salt
- 1 onion large (finely chopped)
- handful coriander leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 1 red chilli dry
- 1 tsp jeera cumin seeds /
- 1/2 tsp saunf fennel seeds /
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic
To sprinkle on top
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Drain all the water from soaked dal.Reserve a tablespoon of whole dal and rest grind to a paste without water (preferably little grainy paste).
- In a small coffee grinder put curry leaves,coriander leaves,chillies,cumin seeds,fennel seeds,ginger and garlic.grind to a coarse paste(Don't add any water to it while grinding).
- In a big bowl mix dal paste,reserved whole dal,rava,rice flour,the spice paste,chopped onions,salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan to. Take small portions of the mixture and make into patties.Put into the oil and fry in medium heat until both sides are nicely brown.
- In the meantime dry roast coriander seeds and dry red chilli(try not to burn).In a mortar and pestal crush along with a pinch of salt and make a coarse powder.
- While serving sprinkle the vadas with the spice powder.