On the occasion of Makar Sankranti there are various types of sweets and savoury things prepared at home.In Andhra pradesh they prepare this vada called Masala Vada out of Chana dal/gram dal. This is also a very popular snacks and we get usually in street side stalls. There is a street side stall from where I get these vadas and they are lip smacking good. He serves it with a spicy chutney.One thing that is unique is he dusts these with a spicy and salty powder,which gives an extra kick to the vadas
On the occasion of Makar Sankranti there are various types of sweets and savoury things prepared at home.In Andhra pradesh they prepare this vada called Masala Vada out of Chana dal/gram dal. This is also a very popular snacks and we get usually in street side stalls. There is a street side stall frPrint Pin Rate
- 1 Cup Chana Dal (soaked for 4 hrs)
- 1 teaspoon sooji rava semolina / /
- 1 teaspoon rice flour
- to taste salt
- 1 onion large (finely chopped)
- handful coriander leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 1 red chilli dry
- 1 teaspoon jeera cumin seeds /
- ½ teaspoon saunf fennel seeds /
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic
To sprinkle on top
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Drain all the water from soaked dal.Reserve a tablespoon of whole dal and rest grind to a paste without water (preferably little grainy paste).
- In a small coffee grinder put curry leaves,coriander leaves,chillies,cumin seeds,fennel seeds,ginger and garlic.grind to a coarse paste(Don't add any water to it while grinding).
- In a big bowl mix dal paste,reserved whole dal,rava,rice flour,the spice paste,chopped onions,salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan to. Take small portions of the mixture and make into patties.Put into the oil and fry in medium heat until both sides are nicely brown.
- In the meantime dry roast coriander seeds and dry red chilli(try not to burn).In a mortar and pestal crush along with a pinch of salt and make a coarse powder.
- While serving sprinkle the vadas with the spice powder.
Note:. If you are preparing the mixture ahead of time then don't add salt to it.Just before frying mix salt.This prevents the mixture to become watery. Adjust the amount of chilli as per tolerance.
Tried this recipe?Mention @theflavoursofkitchen or tag #theflavoursofkitchen
Anu Shoj says
wow beautiful plate of vadas....
Anu @ RasAsvAda
Awesome MASALA VADA. Loved your recipe! 🙂