Mushroom cooked in spicy and aromatic mustard paste. Chatu besara is a an authentic Odiya dish that is relished in almost every Odiya household.
There are time when food that you eat seems monotonous.Same veggies,meat and same old spices. So a little variation in our regular meal makes us happy.
Got some really fresh mushroom on my way back to home. I was not in a mood to go with the regular fair of cooking them with onion and ginger garlic paste. Since past couple of weeks the little one followed by me and Mr. D all of us were down with flu. And once you recover from fever only thing that will please your taste buds is something tangy and spicy. So there was all good reason to do this spicy,tangy and flavourful curry.
A plate of hot steamed rice with this mushroom curry followed by an afternoon siesta,what else one would need on a weekend.
This curry is very common at my native Odisha, so is the name Chatu besara. 'Besara' is a commonly used term for gravies made out of mustard.
Mushroom in spicy mustard gravy (Chatu Besara)
- 400 gms button mushrooms white
- 1 potato medium
- 1/2 tspn turmeric
- to taste salt
- coriander leaves fresh for garnishing
For mustard Paste:
- 1.5 tbsps mustard seed black
- 1 tspn cumin seed
- 1/2 tspns Coriander seed
- 5 chilies dry red
- 4 - 5 pods garlic
- Clean mushrooms and cut into halves.,keep aside. Peel the potato and cut into small pieces.
- For mustard paste add all the ingredients mentioned under paste and grind to a fine thick paste by adding little water.
- In a pan add .5 tbsp oil and fry the cut potatoes till almost done and light brown in colour.Keep aside.
- In the same pan add rest of the oil,add chopped tomatoes. Saute for a minute. Then add mushroom.Saute on high heat for 6-8 minutes,until it is half cooked.
- Add fried potatoes, turmeric. Fry for 2 mins. Then add mustard paste. Saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add salt and required amount of water. Let it come to a boil. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with pain white rice. Note: This curry is supposed to be spicy and little tangy. So is the amount of chilli and tomato. Adjust the amount as per your preference.