So it is the festival of colours again,yes holi is almost here. And festivals are incomplete with special foods. Holi is all about Thandai,Aam panna,chats,gujiyas and many more
I will not claim that thandai is something I am familiar with from my childhood. Got introduced to it couple of years ago in a north Indian Restaurant and thereafter I just fell in love with this. Since then in every summer Thandai is a must at my place. And if it is holi then Thandai is a must along with some chats. After all food is something that brings on the festive mood
Thandai has ingredient which has cooling effect on body,so is the name thandai(cooling).This time it was Thandai with a little twist or can say in new avatar. I tried my thandai mix in cheesecake and it really went very well.To make it more easier,I went for a no-bake one
No bake thandai cheesecake - on the festival of colours
For Cheesecake Base:
- 1.5 cups digestive Biscuit crumb
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 5 tbsps butter melted , cooled
- 1 Cup cottage cheese fresh (panner)(water drained completely)
- 1/2 cup yoghurt thick
- 1 cup whipping cream h
- 3/4 cup sugar
- of 1 pinch saffron milk soaked in warm tsp
- 1 tbsps gelatin (bloomed in 1 tbsp boiling water)
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 2 drops rose or essence
For Thandai Mix:
- 40 almonds
- 10 cashew
- 2 tbsps Melon seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seed
- 2 tsps fennel (saunf)
- 4 cardamom
- 1 tsp black peppercorn white /
- Pistachio roes , petal for garnishing
- Soak Almond in water at least 3-4 hours in a bowl.In a separate bowl soak cashew,melon seed and poppy seeds for 3-4 hours.
- Peel the almonds.Grind together almonds,cashew,melon,poppy seeds,fennel seeds,cardamom and peppercorn with little water and make a fine paste.
- This paste can be made a day or two ahead and kept refrigerated.
- In a bowl mix together the biscuit crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a well greased 8-9 inch tart pan with removable bottom. (A spring form pan can also be used).Place in the refrigerator to set while you make the filling.
- Note: If you want you can bake the base for 10 minutes at 180 degree,it is optional.
- In a blender blend cheese,yoghurt,cream,saffron infused milk,sugar,gelatin mixture and rosewater until everything is well incorporated. add 1/3 cup of above thandai mixture and give one more whisk.
- Pour the mixture into the biscuit base , smooth the top.Cover and refrigerate at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Note: rest of the mixture can be added to cold milk and served chilled to beat the heat.