Well what is there in name. I had no idea what to call this curry so called pancharatna (five gems) as I had used five types of channa/legumes. Curries out of different channas/legumes are pretty regular at my home. Sometime I find leftover channas from each varieties in my pantry which will be not enough for a single serving. That's when I came up with this curry to use all leftover varieties. This is a cross between a curry and dal. Packed with protein and goes very well with rice and/or phulkas(Indian flat breads).Use any kind of legumes in it
Pancharatna channa - (mixed legume stew)
- 2 cups channa legumes Assorted / u2013
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 - 5 cloves poundeds
- 1 onion medium chopped
- 1 tomato blanched and purred
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic green chilli and paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- xbd tablespoon Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi
- to taste salt
- Water for cooking
- ginger coriander Julienned and chopped to garnish
- Cook channa/legumes in enough water along with bay leave,cinnamon and 1 teaspoon salt until well done.discard cinnamon and bay leaf .Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.When it is hot enough add pounded clove.when it is aromatic add onion and fry until light brown in color(roughly 2-3 mins).
- Add ginger,garlic and green chilli paste and fry until raw smell goes off.
- Add tomato puree and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in turmeric,chilli powder,cumin and coriander powder,garam masala.Fry until oil separates from the sides.
- Add the channa along with water and cook for 4-5 mins. Add salt, kashuri methi,Coriander leaves.
- Add more water if you need thin consistency.Cook in low heat for around 15 mins till its is creamy and thick. (I usually crush some channa and add .It gives a nice creamy texture to the curry).
While serving garnish with julienned ginger and coriander.