Here I have come up with another summer stone fruit Plums. Scorching sun and heat has kept me away from extensive cooking. I was spending really less time in the kitchen and baking.. I could not even dare to think about doing. When the first shower happened and the heat resided,first thing I wanted to do was to bake a cake. Got hold of some really fresh and plumpy plums
This cake has tartness of plums,slightly dense texture. The citrus flavour from lemon zest really blends well. The topping is crumbly,buttery with a hint of cinnamon. This cake is a perfect accompaniment with a hot cup of tea or coffee
This recipe is adapted fromzoebakes-plum cake a fall affair.To give a small introduction about her,she is the co-author of the best selling books likeThe New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day,Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Dayand many more. I just follow her recipesblindly and I can assure you they are fool proof
Plum crumble cake
For cake :
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 yolks extra
- 1 1/2 tsps lemon zest fresh
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract vanilla bean seeds or , scraped 1
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 - 10 plums , pitted and cut into thing slices
For Crumble topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- Pre-heat the oven at 350 F/ 176 degree Celsius.Prepare a 9 inch spring for pan.
- In a big bowl, cream butter and brown sugar till light and fluffy(for about 3-4 minutes).
- Add eggs one by one followed by the yolks,scraping down the bowls after each.Stir in the lemon zest and vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl,shift together all the dry ingredients.Add the dry ingredient into the wet mixture in batches,and mix in low speed just until combined.
- In another bowl mix all the elements mentioned under crumble by hand.
- Spread half of the cake batter in the prepared pan. Spread half of the sliced plums.Spread the remaining batter on plums and smooth the surface.Spread remaining plums . and top it with the crumble mixture prepared in step.
- Bake for 1 hour or till a tester comes out clean. This cake is best served slightly warm.