Pumpkin Cashew butter is the regular Cashew butter made more delicious with pumpkin puree and spices. This is creamy, thick and naturally sweetened too.
Isn’t it a great feeling when your kitchen experiment turns out to be outstanding? This Pumpkin Cashew Butter was one such kitchen trial. It felt like I got my hands on some gourmet butter. It is so delicious and spreads perfectly on a slice of toast. I didn’t only use this butter on a toast, it tastes yummy in a smoothie too.
I have been making nut butter at home for a few months now. Especially for my little D. She loves chocolate spreads. Usually, I make choco almond butter so that she can have something healthy. She happily eats spoonfuls of it thinking it as the chocolate spread. So when I was making a fresh batch of nut butter, I remembered there was some roasted pumpkin lying in the refrigerator. After making roasted pumpkin soup, there was some leftover. My notorious mind was in a mood of an experiment. I wasn’t sure how adding pumpkin pure directly to the butter would go. Because pumpkin puree has lots of water content in it. So I thought of putting it in a pan and reduce the puree to a pulp short of thing. More the water evaporates, the butter will stay longer.
Evaporating the moisture from pumpkin puree actually worked. The butter stayed well in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Beyond that I cant say, because it didn’t last that long. We slathered the butter on toasts, crackers. I had also made a smoothy with the butter. You know it is so quick and easy. Just one banana,2 -3 tablespoons of Pumpkin Cashew butter and water. It was dairy free but so smooth and thick. You can also add milk or any cashew milk to the smooth. Whatever you add, the smoothie was delicious and filling.
Another good thing about this butter is, you don’t have to add any sweetener. Generally, I add little honey to my butter but as the caramelized honey has its own sweetness I didn’t have to add honey anymore. If you want a sweeter version, of course, you can add some honey.
CASHEW PUMPKIN BUTTER
- 1.5 cups whole cashew nut
- 1 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey (optional)
- a fat pinch of salt
- Roast the cashew nuts on low flame till evenly roasted. The nuts should look light golden brown in color.
- In a pan add pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice. On low flame cook the puree until almost all the water evaporates and it looks like pulp. ( Make sure you stir continuously to prevent burning).
- Let the pumpkin mixture cool down. It doesn't have to be at room temperature. A little warm should be fine
- In a powerful blender add roasted cashew nuts. Grind with intervals till the cashew is completely powdered and starts to release oil. The mixture would start coming together.
- Add Pumpkin mixture, salt, oil, and honey(if using).
- Blend till the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Once the butter is at room temperature, store in a clean jar. Keep in the refrigerator up to two weeks.