Few days back I had been to a buffet lunch with my team members. The buffet has the same usual spread of Indian and chines starters,salads,biryanis and dessert.Instarter section one thing that caught my attention was this 'Navaratna vegetable seekh kebab'. Though it was bit on the dry side,I liked its subtle flavours. I could make out couple of obvious ingredients such has panner(Indian cottage cheese), potato and Cardamom.The taste was lingering in my palates. I wanted to give it a try but was little skeptical about the outcome because I had heard shaping seekh kebab is tricky.These kebabs turned out to be very good. Flavourful and melt in mouth. The saffron,cardamom and dry fruits gave it a sahi(royal) touch
Shahi vegetable seekh kebab
- 1/2 cup potato (boiled and mashed)
- 1/3 cup carrot
- 1/2 cup beans
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 tbsps besan / chickpea flour
- 2 tbsps bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp ghee /oil more for grilling
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 green chilli medium finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger heaped grated
- 1 tsp cumin roasted powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 3 pods cardamom powdered
- 1 tbsp cashew raisin copped and each
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch Saffron (soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk)
- to taste salt
- pickled onion Coriander and mint chutney , to serve
- Heat oil in a pan,add grated ginger and chopped green chillies.fry for 30 seconds.
- First add chopped carrot,saute for 4-5 minutes then add beans and peas.add turmeric. Saute until the raw smell is gone and vegetables are cooked.
- The vegetables shouldn't be too dry.It should retain little bit of moister in it.
- Cool down and grind to a coarse paste( We don't need a fine paste here neither any big chunks).
- In another dry pan roast besan/gram flour until it is fragrant,light golden brown in color and no raw smell is there.
- In a big bowl add grated panner,mashed potato,vegetable paste and all other remaining ingredient.Give it a good mix.
- Divide the mixer into 8- 10 equal portions.Skewer the kebabs onto oiled skewers and grill or roast till the outside is nicely browned.