EGG PEPPER FRY
Spicy Egg pepper fry or Egg pepper masala is a popular dish in south India. Hard boiled Egg wedges roasted roasted with onions ,curry leaves ,spices and off course loads of freshly ground peppers. Egg pepper fry goes very well with rice and even with parathans.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 4-5 large hard boiled eggs peeled
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tspn Cumin/Zeera
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/4 cup fresh curry leaves
- 1 Green chili
- 2 onion Medium, finely chopped
- 1 tspn Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 1/2 tspn Kashmiri chili podwer (optional)
- 1 tspn curry powder (or 1/2 tspn garam masala)
- Salt to taste
For pepper masala (Roast and grind)
- 1 heaping tspn whole peppercorn
- 1/2 tspn whole corinader seed
- 1/2 tspn fennel seed
Start by dry roasting the spices mentioned under pepper masala. Take care not to burn the spices. Once it cools down, make a fine powder in a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder.
In a pan add vegetable oil. Once hot add cumin seeds followed by dry red chili, lengthwise cut green chili and curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds.
Add finely chopped onions. Sprinkle a pinch of salt to fasten the cooking process. Cook onions till they are soft and translucent.
Make a space at the center of the pan by moving the cooked onion to one side. Add ginger-garlic paste. Fry for 30 seconds.
Add turmeric powder, chili powder(if using) , garam masala/curry powder and the pepper masala powder. Fry for a minute. Sprinkle little water if you find the masala burning. Add salt to taste. Mix well.
Cut eggs length wise into two halves. Add to the pan cut side down. Let it cook for a couple of minutes. It should be lightly roasted.
Carefully turn the eggs and cook for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle little water in between to prevent the spices from burning.
Serve hot with white rice or parathans.
- This recipe is very spicy. So adjust the spices used accordingly.
- Sometime I add few drops of lemon juice or half chopped tomato to it. So you can experiment with for a change.