Goan Prawn Curry
Goan Prawn curry made with roasted spices, fresh coconut and coconut milk is easy to make. This Prawn curry with Coconut is spicy, tangy with a hint of sweetness to it.
Servings 4 People
- 500 Grams Prawns
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Small Tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
For Ground Paste
- 1.5 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 7-8 Garlic
- 4 - 5 Kashmiri red chilies
- 1/2 Tablespoon Tamarind Pulp
- 1 cup Fresh Coconut grated
- 1 cup Water
Clean and devein prawns.
In a pan dry roast coriander seeds, Cumin, Black pepper seed till aromatic.
In a blender add grated coconut, roasted Coriander, cumin, Black pepper, red chilies, garlic, Tamarind pulp.Add enough water and make a very smooth paste.
In a pan add oil. Add chopped onions. Saute till the onions are translucent and soft.
Add chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
Add turmeric and salt to taste.
Add ground coconut paste and saute till the raw smell is gone.
Add coconut milk. Bring the gravy to a boil.
Once the gravy comes to a rolling boil,add sliced green chilies.
Add prawns. Let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Switch off the gas.
** Watch a detailed video on how to make Goan Prawn curry after the recipe.
2. The cooking time of prawn depends on its size,so judge it accordingly. Cooking prawns for too long results in rubbery prawns.
- Traditionally Kokum is used for giving the sourness. But because Kokum is not available easily everywhere, I have used Tamarind. If you have kokum, use it instead for authentic flavor.
Serving: 100g | Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 315mg | Sodium: 1062mg | Potassium: 417mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 190IU | Vitamin C: 16.3mg | Calcium: 230mg | Iron: 5.9mg