Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
Warm and cozy Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie has a meaty texture from Lentils and vegetables, a flavourful wine-based gravy, and then topped with a creamy layer of mashed potato.
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion Finely Chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Fresh Garlic minced
- 3/4 cup Celery 2-3 stalks
- 3 Carrots about 1 cup, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Rosemary Chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 400 grams Mushroom
- 1 cup Cooked Brown Lentil
- 1/3 cup Tomato Paste
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 1.5 cup Frozen Peas
- 1/2 cup Red wine
- 1.5 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust as per taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
For Mashed Potato
- 6-7 large potatoes (around 2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt to taste
For Mashed Potato
Clean, Peel, and cube Potatoes. Cook in salted water until just tender. Drain and using a potato ricer or masher mash potato. While it is still warm mix in cream and butter. Adjust seasoning. Mix until it is creamy.
For Vegetable Filling
Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onion, garlic, celery, chopped carrot. bay leaf and herbs. Saute for one minute.
Add Sliced Mushrooms. Saute for another 1-2 minutes.
Add Cooked lentil, tomato paste and flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add wine, vegetable stock. Mix well, season with salt and pepper. Let it cook on medium heat until the gravy starts to thicken.
Remove bay leaf. Switch off the flame. Stir in frozen peas.
In an oven-proof pan put the vegetable gravy. Top with mashed potato in an even layer.
Bake for 20-22 mins @ 350 F. For a crispy brown top, towards the end, set the oven to Broil mode and broil for 5-6 minutes.
Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve.
- I have used a 2.5-3 inch deep 8X8 baking dish. There was a little leftover which didn't fit to the pan, so the extra I baked separately in a ramekin. Use a 9X13 inch pan instead.
- Instead of cooking in a separate pan, Cook the gravy is an ovenproof pan. Then to the same pan, spread mashed potato and bake.
Serving: 100g | Calories: 562kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 717mg | Potassium: 2301mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 6383IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 15mg