Cajun Shrimp and Rice Skillet
Cajun shrimp and rice is a one pot dinner which is delicious and packed with flavour.
Servings 4 Serving
- 500 gram Shrimp Cleaned and deveined
- 1 cup White Jasmine rice
- 2-3 tablespoon Cajun Spice mix ref note 1
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 2-3 Medium ripe tomatoes (about 1 cup) ref note 2
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste ref note 3
- Fresh coriander For Garnishing
- avocado For serving
- Lemon Wedges For Serving
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan. Add shrimps and 1 tablespoon of Cajun Seasoning. Cook on medium-high heat for not more than 2-3 minutes each side. Remove from pan and keep aside.
Add remaining butter and Oil to the same pan. Add chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until onion is softened.
Add rice to the pan. Toast rice in low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring in between. At the end of this step rice should look slightly toasty.
Add Chopped red bell pepper, tomato and remaining Cajun seasoning. Give everything a good mix.
Add warm stock. Cover and cook untill the rice is cooked 3/4th.
Stir in shrimp. Cover and let it cook another 8-10 minutes on low flame or until the rice is cooked through.
Let it rest for 10 minutes before opening the lid. Using a fork gently separate the rice grain.
Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Serve along with avocado and lemon wedges.
- I make my own Cajun seasoning. I have used a little more than 3 tbsp of Cajun Spice mix. You can adjust the quantity as per your taste.
- You can use fresh ripe tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes in this recipe.
- Cajun mix already has salt in it. And also the stock will have some amount of salt. A Check the seasoning and add more salt towards the end
- The amount of stock varies depending on the rice used. So add more stock if it feels the rice is still not done but there is hardly any liquid left in the pan.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 193mg | Sodium: 802mg | Potassium: 388mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 930IU | Vitamin C: 44.8mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 2.5mg