Cajun Shrimp and Rice is packed with flavour with juicy shrimps and fluffy rice. A perfect Shrimp and rice recipe, that takes less than 30 minutes from stove to table.
Before I start telling how good is this Cajun Shrimp and Rice Skillet, just have a look at the skillet. Doesn't it look delicious and mouth-watering? Well, it not only looks delicious, but also tastes amazing too.
I love Cajun Spice a lot. It is spicy with loads of flavour. I usually use it as a spice rub for chicken, shrimp. Cajun Seasoning works with vegetable too, for example, this Baked Crispy Cajun Potatoes I had posted earlier. It is spicy and flavourful.
I use homemade Cajun Seasoning whenever possible. The bottled ones we get here lacks flavour ( in my opinion). So I always make the fresh seasoning depending on the quantity required.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning is the best. I mix 2 parts garlic powder, 1 part each from Onion powder, Oregano, thyme, paprika, chilli powder, peppercorn and peppercorn. Put everything in a food processor and whisk a couple of times. The seasoning should remain little coarse. You can always adjust the spices as per your preference.
Cajun Shrimp is so delicious and I always make it as an appetizer. It Comes together in 10 minutes and tasted amazing. Use a cast iron skillet while making Cajun Shrimps and stir-fry the shrimps for 4-5 minutes on high heat. Tossing in high heat gives a nice smokey touch to the shrimps.
Simply add Cajun Shrimps to your favourite pasta and Cajun Shrimp Pasta is ready in no time. You can also make Cajun Shrimp tacos with it. You see, the possibilities are endless.
Now let me tell you about this one-pan easy Cajun Shrimp and Rice Skillet. You know Rice is my weakness and I can't think of a single day without having rice. Since the past few months, I have been following a low carb diet and the most difficult part is to avoid rice. I am able to control all my cravings but rice is something I can't live without.
I love everything about this Shrimp and rice recipe. It takes only one pan and less than 10 ingredients to make this.
TIPS FOR MAKING CAJUN SHRIMP AND RICE .
Start with gathering all the ingredients for the recipe. Fresh Shrimps and Frozen Shrimps, both would work for this recipe. If using Frozen Shrimps, then thaw them and get rid of any extra liquid. Add some Cajun seasoning and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Use a pan that is big enough to hold rice after it gets cooked. Too small a pan and rice will not get cooked properly.
Heat Oil in a pan. Add Shrimps to the hot pan and cook each side more 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add chopped onion and minced garlic to the same pan. Once the onion starts to brown add tomatoes. Cook further 5-6 minutes till everything come together. Add chopped bell pepper, soaked rice and Cajun Spice mix. Add warm stock, cover and let it cook in low heat.
When rice is cooked ¾th, add shrimp and let it cook for another 8-10 minutes. When done, switch off the flame and let it rest for 10 minutes. Before serving using a fork gently separate rice grains.
CAN WE FREEZE CAJUN SHRIMP AND RICE ?
It can easily be refrigerated like any other rice dish. You can divide into small portions and do the meal prep as well.
Other Shrimp recipes you might be interested to try
Cajun Shrimp and Rice Skillet
- 500 gram Shrimp Cleaned and deveined
- 1 cup White Jasmine rice
- 2-3 tablespoon Cajun Spice mix ref note 1
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 2-3 Medium ripe tomatoes (about 1 cup) ref note 2
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste ref note 3
- Fresh coriander For Garnishing
- avocado For serving
- Lemon Wedges For Serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan. Add shrimps and 1 tablespoon of Cajun Seasoning. Cook on medium-high heat for not more than 2-3 minutes each side. Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Add remaining butter and Oil to the same pan. Add chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until onion is softened.
- Add rice to the pan. Toast rice in low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring in between. At the end of this step rice should look slightly toasty.
- Add Chopped red bell pepper, tomato and remaining Cajun seasoning. Give everything a good mix.
- Add warm stock. Cover and cook untill the rice is cooked ¾th.
- Stir in shrimp. Cover and let it cook another 8-10 minutes on low flame or until the rice is cooked through.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before opening the lid. Using a fork gently separate the rice grain.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve along with avocado and lemon wedges.
- I make my own Cajun seasoning. I have used a little more than 3 tbsp of Cajun Spice mix. You can adjust the quantity as per your taste.
- You can use fresh ripe tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes in this recipe.
- Cajun mix already has salt in it. And also the stock will have some amount of salt. A Check the seasoning and add more salt towards the end
- The amount of stock varies depending on the rice used. So add more stock if it feels the rice is still not done but there is hardly any liquid left in the pan.