This post may include affiliate links that earn us a small commission.
Cajun Shrimp and Rice are packed with flavour with juicy shrimps and fluffy rice. A perfect Shrimp and rice recipe that takes less than 30 minutes from stove to table.
Cajun Shrimp and Rice Skillet – An amazing one-pot meal with fluffy rice,
Flavours In Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes straight to your inbox
I love Cajun Spice a lot. It is spicy with loads of flavor. I usually use it as a spice rub for chicken and shrimp. Cajun Seasoning also works with vegetables, for example, this Baked Crispy Cajun Potatoes I posted earlier. It is spicy and flavourful.
I use homemade Cajun Seasoning whenever possible. The bottled ones we get here lack flavor ( in my opinion). So I always make fresh seasoning depending on the quantity required.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning is the best. This recipe doesn’t have salt, so make sure you add salt as per taste.
Cajun Shrimp is so delicious; I always make it an appetizer. It Comes together in 10 minutes and tastes amazing. Use a cast-iron skillet while making Cajun Shrimps and stir-fry the shrimps for 4-5 minutes on high heat. Tossing in high heat gives a nice smokey touch to the shrimps.
Add Cajun Shrimps to your favorite pasta, and Cajun Shrimp Pasta is ready quickly. You can also make Cajun Shrimp tacos with it. You see, the possibilities are endless.
Now let me tell you about this one-pan-easy Cajun Shrimp and Rice Skillet. Rice is my weakness, and I can’t think of a single day without having rice. For the past few months, I have been following a low-carb diet recently, and the most difficult part is avoiding rice.
I love everything about this Shrimp and rice recipe. It takes only one pan and less than ten ingredients to make this.
Tips For Making Cajun Shrimp and Rice
Start with gathering all the ingredients for the recipe. Fresh and frozen shrimp would both work for this recipe. If using Frozen Shrimp, thaw them and remove any extra liquid. Add some Cajun seasoning and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Use a big pan to hold the rice after it gets cooked. Too small a pan and rice will not get cooked properly.
Heat Oil in a pan. Add Shrimp to the hot pan and cook each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add chopped onion and minced garlic to the same pan. Once the onion starts to brown, add tomatoes. Cook further for 5-6 minutes till everything come together. Add chopped bell pepper, soaked rice, and Cajun Spice mix. Add warm stock, cover, and let it cook on low heat.
When rice is cooked 3/4th, add shrimp and let it cook for another 8-10 minutes. Switch off the flame and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving using a fork, gently separate rice grains.
Can we freeze Shrimp & Rice?
It can easily be refrigerated like any other rice dish. You can divide it into small portions and do the meal prep.
Other Shrimp recipes you might be interested to try
Cajun Shrimp and Rice Skillet
- 250 grams Shrimp Cleaned and deveined
- 1 cup Long grain White rice
- 2-3 tablespoon Cajun Spice mix ref note 1
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 2-3 Medium ripe tomatoes (about 1 cup) ref note 2
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 2.5 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste ref note 3
- Fresh cilantro For Garnishing
- avocado For serving
- Lemon Wedges For Serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan. Add shrimps and 1 tablespoon of Cajun Seasoning. Cook on medium-high heat for not more than 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Add remaining butter and Oil to the same pan. Add chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until onion is softened.
- Add rice to the pan. Toast rice in low-medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring in between. At the end of this step rice should look slightly toasty.
- Add Chopped red bell pepper, tomato and remaining Cajun seasoning. Give everything a good mix.
- Add warm stock. Cover and cook untill the rice is cooked 3/4th.
- Stir in shrimp. Cover and let it cook another 8 minutes on low flame or until the rice is cooked through.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before opening the lid. Using a fork gently separate the rice grain.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve along with avocado and lemon wedges.
- I make my own Cajun seasoning. I have used a little more than 3 tbsp of Cajun Spice mix. You can adjust the quantity as per your taste.
- You can use fresh ripe tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes in this recipe.
- Cajun mix already has salt in it. And also the stock will have some amount of salt. Check the seasoning and add more salt towards the end
- The amount of stock varies depending on the rice used. So add more stock if it feels the rice is still not done but there is hardly any liquid left in the pan.