These Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken wings are Juicy, delicious and perfect party appetizer. No Refined sugar and made in a skillet in 30 minutes.
Let’s take a moment and look at those chicken wings with gorgeous sweet and sour sauce. These Sweet and Sour chicken wings are the best ever Asian appetizer I have ever made. Pat on my back!! If you are hosting a weekend party, then don’t forget to include these in your menu planning. All it takes is one pan and 30 minutes to make.
The sauce is perfectly balanced. It has the right amount of sweetness and sourness. While there are a lot of recipes that use white sugar/ Brown sugar, the sweetness comes from honey in case of these wings. There is no difference in taste when you sub sugar with honey because I have tried both the version. Another good thing about these Sweet and Sour chicken wings is, these are neither baked nor fried. I have put just a couple of teaspoon of oil and fried these wings in a cast iron skillet. So you really don’t have to deep fry or bakes the wings to get the extra crunch. I am going to share the secret for perfectly crispy wings shortly.
Tips for Perfect Crispy Chicken wings :
Whether you use wings with or without skin, you need to follow below few steps for perfect crispy outer skin
- Make sure the wings are not wet and water dripping from it. Place the wings on a kitchen towel and press gently to make sure there is no extra liquid.
- Chicken wings should be at room temperature while cooking
- While tossing the wings in baking powder and cornstarch mixture, do it in batches. Don’t add the mixture all at once. This ensures the wings are evenly coated.
- Keep the cooking pan well greased and hot.
- Once the wings are cooked/fried it starts to release water. So place the cooked wings on a wired rack and place a container below. So the liquid released from the wings won’t make them soggy, while you make the sauce.
If you are making this for a big crowd, you can make cook the wings and make the sauce beforehand. And Just before serving, heat the sauce and toss in the crispy wings.