Fajita Stuffed Chicken breast is a different take on Chicken Fajita. Chicken breast is stuffed with Caramelized and crunchy peppers, onion, Mexican seasoning, and cheese, then baked to perfection.
Love Chicken fajita, then you are going to love this fajita stuffed chicken breast. Caramelize peppers, onions, fajita seasoning, and cheese stuffed inside the chicken breast, seared on a skillet, and then baked until done. It is low carb and also healthy if you ignore the cheese 😉
With endless possibilities to stuff chicken breast, it is a bit difficult to choose a favorite topping. We love these mushroom stuffed chicken breast, the stuffing tastes like pizza topping. Spinach stuffing is again a classic. This Fajita stuffing is a Mexican twist and is a new favorite.
Ingredients you need
Boneless Chicken Breast: Boneless chicken breast that is big and thick enough to make a pocket horizontally.
Seasoning: Just salt, pepper and paprika to season the chickens on both the sides.
Colored Peppers: Red, yellow and green bell pepper thinly sliced lengthwise.
Fajita Seasoning: Good quality fajita seasoning , in case you don't have fajita seasoning, you can use Taco Seasoning as well.
Cheese: I have used a blend of sharp and mild cheddar. You can use Mexican blend cheese as well.
Steps to Make Fajita Stuffed Chicken
There are basically three steps, one make the stuffing, stuff the chicken and cook it.
Step 1: Start with making the fajita stuffing. On a hot skillet stir, fry sliced onion and peppers. We are basically looking for nice charred effects. So cast iron skillet and high heat is what you need. Make sure there is still crunch to the onion and peppers, these will get further cooked.
Step 2: Prepare the chicken for stuffing. There are a couple of ways you can prepare chicken for the stuffing.
The first way is to make a little pocket in the middle. Using a sharp knife, start from the thickest part of the chicken and cut lengthwise downward making a small pocket in the middle.
Another way is to butterfly the chicken as shown below. Refer to the video in the recipe to see how to butterfly the chicken.
Stuff it generously with the stuffing and cheese. The cheese just oozes out a little bit once it is baked and it is absolutely fine.
Step 3: Before baking the stuffed chicken breast, we are going to sear it for 2 minutes on each side to caramelize it.
How long to cook Chicken?
The chicken breast we are using in these stuffed chicken recipe needs to be thick and large so that it would be easy to create a pocket. So it would take around 25-30 minutes to bake.
We are searing the chicken on each side for 2 minutes and then pop it into the oven. The internal temperature of chicken in the thickest part should be 165F. Once it is cooked let it rest for 5-6 minutes before cutting it down.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPE...
Fajita Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 3 large Chicken Breast boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For Fajita Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1.5 cup Assorted colored peppers cut lengthwise
- 1 large Onion sliced
- 2.5 Tablespoon Fajita seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend Cheese)
To make Fajita Stuffing
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet. Add peppers and onion. Toss it in high heat for 2 minutes until you see small charred marks and veggies start to sweat. The veggies need to be crunchy.
- Add fajita seasoning, mix everything well and cook for another 30 seconds. Let the stuffing cool
Cutting the Chicken breast
- Pat dry Chicken breast with a kitchen towel.
- Using a sharp knife cut the chicken lengthwise halfway through, taking care not to cut it till the end. Cut it open flat.
- Spread 1 tablespoon shredded cheese on one half. Top it with 2 tablespoons of Fajita stuffing.
- Top it with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Cover one half of the chicken and push the stuffing inside with the help of your hand so that the stuffing is tightly packed.
- Using a toothpick seal the edges.
- In a small bowl mix salt, pepper and paprika. Season both sides of the stuffed chicken breast.
Cooking Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Heat oil and butter in an oven-safe cast iron skillet.
- Sear Chicken breast for 2 minutes on each side.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove the toothpick, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.