This Tomato White Bean soup with tangy tomatoes, white beans, parmesan is super satisfying and takes less than 30 minutes to make.
This White bean soup takes less than 20 minutes to make from start to finish. It tastes just like tomato soup but more healthy and filling because of white beans. This soup is hearty, delicious, and can easily be made into Vegan.
All you have to do is open a couple of cans and chop up onion and veggies which would barely take 5-6 minutes. You don't need any fancy ingredients here.
What Ingredients you need for this Soup
White beans-You can use dried or canned White beans also known as Cannellini beans. While a little bit of planning is needed if you are using dried beans, canned beans are very convenient to use. Drain the liquid and rinse once the canned beans before adding to the soup.
If you are using dried beans, then soak it for 6-8 hours and cook (preferably in Instant pot) until softened.
Tomato- Canned crushed tomatoes.
Veggies- This white bean soup has the goodness of veggies. There is onion, celery, carrots, etc. You can stir in a handful of spinach or kale if you wish.
Seasoning- Rosemary, dried basil and bay leaf.
Vegetable broth or stock. You can also use Chicken stock instead.
To add richness and make it creamy I have added parmesan to the soup. And a drizzle of cream while serving will only make this white bean soup delicious.
Steps to make Tomato White Bean Soup
- Start with sautéing onion, garlic and celery. Once they have softened a bit stir in died carrot. Sweat the veggies to release flavor to the oil.
2. Once the veggies are softened add crushed tomato, tomato paste, herbs, seasoning, and stock to the pot. Let everything come to a boil and then simmer for 5 more minutes. Then add ¼th of the white bean to the pot. Blitz it using a hand blender until smooth.
3. Add rest of the bean and grated parmesan to the soup. And delicious White bean soup in a tomato broth is ready to serve.
Tips for making the best White Bean Soup
- Drain and rinse canned beans before adding to the soup pot.
- Cook the veggies until it sweats to release flavor to the soup.
- If adding spinach or kale, add it to the pot towards the end and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- 2 cups canned white beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup carrot
- 1.5 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2.5 cups vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- Melt butter in a soup pot or a dutch oven. Add chopped onion, celery, and garlic. Cook for a minute.
- Add chopped carrot and saute for a couple of minutes. The veggies would be softened by now.
- Add crushed tomato, tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper, rosemary sprig, bay leaf, and stock to the pot. Stir everything well. Once it comes to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of white beans to the pot. Using a hand blender blitz everything until smooth.
- Stir in the rest of the bean, grated parmesan to the soup. Give everything a good mix.
- Serve with bread.
- If the soup is too tart because of tomatoes, add ½ teaspoon of sugar to balance the sourness.
- I like to add ¼ teaspoon of chilli flakes to the soup for an extra kick.
- You can add a handful of spinach or kale towards the end while adding parmesan cheese.