Low-carb Chicken Taco Soup is hearty, healthy, and perfect for Weight Watchers. Packed with taco flavors, this easy Chicken Taco soup can be made on the stovetop in under 30 minutes.
It is winter and soup appears on our dinner menu quite frequently. This Easy Low Carb Chicken Taco soup was our dinner a few days back. It was delicious and filling.
Flavours In Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes straight to your inbox
This Chicken Taco Soup is low-carb and keto-friendly. But you can easily customize it and add your favorite ingredients like corn, beans, etc.
I have been following a low-carb diet. And this taco soup with my favorite Mexican flavours fits all the bill. In fact, the whole family loved it. It is also quick to put together on busy weeknights.
Healthy Chicken Taco Soup
Making Chicken Taco soup is incredibly easy and quick to make. The flavors are really fresh. It has got chicken, onion, bell pepper, and cabbage. The low-carb version doesn’t have corn and beans but you can certainly add beans to it.
Cabbage is an excellent vegetable when you are on a low-carb diet. It is not only very low in carbs, but it also has other nutritional elements. So adding cabbage to the soup makes the soup really filling.
If you are on a low-carb or Keto diet, you can absolutely adjust the quantity of the ingredients as per your macros.
You can add corn, and kidney beans and top it with crushed nachos/Tortilla chips to make it more wholesome.
- Chicken breast – I always have some chicken breast lying around in the refrigerator, and it comes in handy when you are clueless about what to make for dinner. Breast recipes like Buffalo Chicken Wrap and Air Fryer Crispy Chicken Breast are a few of my favorites.
- Shredded cabbage –
- Chicken stock – offers a rich, deep flavor to the soup.
- Garlic & onion –
- Spices – Chili powder, cumin powder,
- Celery & Cilantro leaves – Celery as garnish gives a burst of freshness
- Cheddar cheese
How To Make Chicken Taco Soup?
Making Chicken Taco soup from scratch takes less than 20 minutes. You need one pot and can make the soup right on the stovetop. Here is how the soup is made.
Saute aromatics and chicken
Start with sauteing Onion and garlic in oil. Sauteing releases all those flavours into the oil, so it is an essential step. Then quickly saute the onion until it is translucent. Then add bell peppers and cabbage. Saute it until it softens. Then add tomatoes followed by seasoning and stock. Let everything simmer and it is ready.
Now coming to the best part, the toppings. Cilantro, Jalapenos, sour cream and of course lots of cheddar cheese. And if you are not on a low-carb diet, then add lots of crushed tortilla chips.
More soup recipes
Low Carb Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 Medium onion Chopped
- 300 grams boneless skinless chicken breast Cut in to small chunks
- ¼ cup celery Chopped
- 2 cups (heaping) cabbage Shredded
- 1 Medium red bell pepper Chopped
- 1 cup plum tomato Blanched and chopped / Canned
- ½ tbsp red chili powder
- ½ tbsp chipotle chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Roasted Cumin powder
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 cups chicken stock or Water
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Fresh Coriander leave for garnishing
- Lemon Wedges
- Heat oil in a pot. Add minced garlic. Saute till it starts to brown.
- Add chopped onion. Fry till it is soft and translucent.
- Add chopped celery, followed by chicken chunks. Fry for one minute.
- Add shredded cabbage. Cook for 2 minutes. The cabbage will start to soften.
- Add chopped red bell pepper. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add Tomatoes. Mix everything well.
- Add all the spices. Mix everything well. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add Stock. Adjust seasoning. Bring the soup to a boil(cover the pan with a lid if desired)
- Switch off the flame. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves, lemon wedges and top it with cheese while serving.
- Chipotle chilli powder gives a smokiness to the soup. You can substitute with smoked paprika or chilli powder.
- You can skip the spices and add 1 heaping tablespoon of Taco seasoning.
- Adjust the heat as per your preference.
- You can also substitute the spices with readymade Taco seasoning. In that case, adjust the amount of garlic as taco Seasoning already has garlic.
- Add warm stock to the soup.