This Creamy Mexican Chicken Soup is so relishing and loaded with Mexican flavors. Set the slow cooker and come back home to a hearty, comforting soup on cold winter nights. This soup is also low carb and Keto friendly. I have also included instructions for Instant Pot.
I am so happy with how this Mexican Chicken Soup has turned out. It is low in carb and Keto. Roasted tomatoes and Chipotle Chilli powder add a hint of smokiness to it.
With very minimal chopping involved, this Chicken Soup is perfect on busy days when you return home and want the dinner ready.
It is different than other Mexican Chicken Soup out there, but trust me, the flavors are spot on. It's creamy with a bit of tang from the tomatoes, and the chicken is so juicy and tender.
So until you give it a try, you will never understand why I am raving so much about this soup?
Ingredients For Mexican Chicken Soup
This Mexican soup is rich and creamy. Boneless chicken breast is simmered with onion, garlic, herbs, roasted cumin powder, and chipotle chilli powder in a crockpot. Because of slow cooking, the chicken breast is juicy and absorbs all the flavours.
You can also use boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts.
The spice blend, Fire-roasted tomato, and chipotle chilli powder give this soup the real flavour. Soups made from scratch are always healthier with better taste.
To make it rich and creamy, there is 'Half and half', cream cheese, and lots of cheddar cheese. I know it sounds a lot, but when it is cold outside and snuggling on your couch, I bet you would crave a loaded, creamy soup.
Tips To Make Crockpot Chicken Soup
Making soup in a slow cooker is easy, and the outcome is outstanding. You need to spend only 10 minutes of your time, and the rest will be done in the slow cooker.
While you can dump chicken and the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook it, I would prefer to saute the aromatics in a pan first. Frying onion and garlic in the oil gives a deep flavor.
Another important step while making this recipe is adding dairy products at the end of the cooking. So that dairy is not overcooked with other spices and curdles or gives a weird taste.
Is This Soup Low Carb/ Keto?
This soup is low carb. If you follow Keto, you can easily adjust the recipe as per your macro.
I am going to add some crunchy tortilla chips on my cheat day.
Make a big batch of it and freeze it for later. Another favorite soup this season is this Low Carb Cabbage Chicken Taco Soup. Another Mexican soup with mindblowing flavors
Can It be Made In An Instant Pot?
For most of us, winter is about slow-cooked soup in a crockpot and a house filled with that cozy smell of the soup. Nothing can beat a Chicken soup made in a crockpot.
But you know what, I love my Instant Pot equally. It is such a time savior. This soup is such a favorite at home, and readers have even made it in Instant pot.
The soup is as good as the slow cooker version, and it takes only 15 minutes from start to end; the best part is you can also throw in the frozen chicken breast if you haven't planned to thaw it earlier.
The recipe below includes detailed instructions and a video to make this soup in an Instant Pot.
You can refrigerate this soup for up to 3 days. Since it has onion, garlic, and everything, it would not stay fresh beyond this.
The good news is you can safely freeze in an air-tight container for up to 2 months.
While it is time to take this out from the freezer/fridge, just let it thaw so that you can see liquid forming again while it comes closer to room temperature Microwave it in a safe container and serve.
Other Instantpot soup recipes
SLOW COOKER MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP
- 400 grams boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 14 oz can Fire-roasted plum tomato (ref note 1)
- 2 tspn oil
- 1 medium onion Finely Chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper Chopped
- 1.5 tsp Roasted Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1.5 tsp Chipotle chilli powder (ref note 2)
- 1 tsp paprika (Optional)
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ Cup Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Cilantro leaves for garnishing
TO MAKE IN SLOW COOKER
- Take oil in a pan. Once hot, put minced garlic, followed by onion. Fry till Onion starts to soften a little bit and it is aromatic.
- To a pre-heated Slow cooker, add chicken breast, crushed tomatoes, cooked Onion and garlic mixture, all the spices, warm Chicken Stock and salt.
- Cover and let it cook on high 3 hours.
- To the Crock-Pot, stir in chopped bell peppers, Cream, cream cheese, Shredded cheese. Further, cook on high for 20-30 minutes until all the cheese has melted.
- At the end of cooking using two forks shred the chicken breast.
- While serving, top it with fresh cilantro, Sour cream, Avocados.
TO MAKE IN AN INSTANT POT
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode. Once hot add oil.
- Add minced garlic and chopped Onion to the pot. Saute until onion has softened and it is aromatic.
- Add Cumin powder, Chipotle Chilli Powder, Oregano, Paprika. Saute for 30 seconds. ( By sauteing the spices in oil, it develops flavour. This step can be skipped)
- Stir in Roasted Tomatoes, Chicken Stock. Scarp the bottom of the pot to release any stuck brown bits. Add salt.
- Add Chicken Breast to the pot. Cover the lid and cook on Manual /High-Pressure mode for 8 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes followed by Manually releasing the rest of the pressure.
- Carefully remove Chicken breast in a plate and shred the chicken breast using forks.
- To the pot, add chopped bell pepper, Softened Cream Cheese, Cheddar Cheese and half & half. Stir well until all the cheese has melted.
- Add back the shredded chicken to the pot. Stir well.
- While serving garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- In case Roasted Tomatoe is not available, Use regular Canned Tomatoes.
- Chipotle Powder can be substituted by Smoked paprika.
- Sauteing onion and garlic in oil is to caramelize and develope flavours. You can certainly skip it and dump all the ingridents to the slow cooker/Instant pot and cook , followed by adding rest of the ingredients.
- I don't like to cook Cheese or cream for a longer time as it kills the delicate flavour. So I always prefer to add dairy towards the end.
- You can also use Frozen Chicken Breast if you are making the Soup in an Instant Pot(That's the beauty of Instant Pot). Just reduce the amount of stock to 1 cup. Cook on high for 12 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of Natural pressure release.