Chicken Tortellini Soup- Cheese tortellini, Chicken, vegetables in a delicious creamy broth is hearty and takes less than 30 minutes to make.
Easy & Fast - 30 Minute recipe
This Chicken Tortellini Soup has everything that you would need to snuggle during cold weather. A creamy soup loaded with pillowy tortellini, chicken, and veggies.
If are not much into a thick creamy soup, then check this Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup with a tangy tomato broth.
Cheesy tortellini soaks up all the flavors from the thick creamy broth and just melts in your mouth. We have also added some veggies to make the soup more wholesome and filling.
This Tortellini Soup takes less than 30 minutes from the stovetop to the table. Using precooked or leftover rotisserie chicken works really well here.
Tip - Use frozen veggies to reduce the prep time.
How To Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
30 minutes is not a lot of time to cook a warm comforting soup if you ask me. Making this chicken tortellini soup is a very easy one. A few ingredients to prep and then all we have to do is work with just one pot.
- We start by making the soup base. Sauté onion, garlic, and veggies in butter until aromatic. Sautéing helps to build flavour.
- The next step is to add the flour and saute until the raw flour smell is gone.
- We are basically making a roux of butter and flour, that helps to thicken the soup when stock is added.
- Add stock and seasoning to the veggie and flour mixture. The soup base is ready. It might not be thick as of now.
- To the above stock add dry tortellini. The advantage of cooking tortellini in broth is, the tortellini soaks up all flavour from the broth.
And also when pasta gets cooked, the starch helps to thicken the broth further.
- Then the last step is to add cooked chicken, spinach, cream and parmesan. At this point check the seasoning and adjust per taste.
Possible Variations or add-ins
Cheese Tortellini is a favorite and I always stock up in the pantry. You can use any other variety of tortellini you have in hand.
Left over Rotisserie Chicken works best just like this Bacon Chicken Tortellini.
Coming to vegetables I have added carrots and Spinach. You can add peas, red pepper. You can also substitute Spinach with Kale.
For a lighter version, use low fat cream.
Can this Soup Frozen?
This soup is not ideal for freezing. Tortellini pasta when left for too long in broth, will soak the liquid and swells up. So I don't really freeze this soup.
If there is any leftover and you end up freezing it, then while reheating loosen the soup by adding more stock to it until the desired consistency.
More Delicious Soup Recipes...
Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 10 ounce dried cheese tortellini
- 2 cups cooked Chicken diced
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped Carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup tightly packed Spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan
- Melt butter in a soup pot. Add chopped Onion, Carrot, celery, garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened and there is no raw smell from Garlic.
- Add flour and stir well. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat, until there is no raw smell from flour. Keep stirring the mixture to prevent it from sticking at the bottom.
- Add Chicken stock, Italian Seasoning, red chilli flake, salt and pepper. Stir well, increase heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, stir in dried tortellini. Cook for 10-12 minutes, string in between to prevent tortellini from sticking at the bottom.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente, stir in diced cooked Chicken, Spinach, Cream, and parmesan to the pot.
- Check salt and add more if required. Simmer for 2 minutes more and turn off the heat.