Spicy Chinese chicken meatballs is the new addition to my Chinese recipe collection. These Chinese meatballs are juicy,melt in mouth and then cooked in a spicy Chinese sauce. Once again a quick 30 minutes meal perfect for a weekday meal. Make amazing meal prep lunch bowl with these meatballs.
A brand new week is ahead. If you are unlike me, you would have already started planing the weekday menu. You know its a very good practice to do a meal plan for the upcoming week. It saves a lot of time and also you don’t have to bang your head when its dinner time.
I am very bad when it comes to planing meal a week ahead. I have tried a couple of times but this planning thing just doesn’t work for us. Our menu depends on the mood on that day. Most of the time it happens spontaneously. It is not that difficult because there will always be 2-3 options floating in my head ( I have a dedicated part of my brain for food 😀 ).
OK ,the reason I am telling you about all these meal prep/meal planing thing is because I made an amazing meal prep box with these meatballs. I made a big batch of these juicy Chinese chicken meatballs and no way we could have finished them on the same day tough they were too yum. Then I thought why not make a meal prep lunchbox with the left overs.
Lately I am seeing lots of Meal Prep lunch box recipes on Pinterest. To be honest I have never thought of making food in bulk and freezing them for later. I have grown up eating fresh cooked food everyday.And with a toddler at home I always make sure she gets freshly cooked nutritious food everyday. Saying that I do understand there are many working women who can not afford cooking everyday for various reasons. And for them these meal prep box is way better than takeouts.
In fact I had kept a couple of boxes in the freezer and had them later. Actually it’s good to have such meal boxes available in the freezer. When you are really running out of time or in a mood to have something good then just microwave the box and you are good to go.
OK, so I have told enough about how cool this lunch box idea is. Now let me tell you about these amazing meatballs. They were just perfect. My Hubby who hates meatballs couldn’t stop himself from praising it. Here are few things that I learned about meatballs specially when the protein used is chicken. Chicken tend to dry fast if you cook it for too long. So here are the few things that makes the meatballs moist
- Soaking the bread/bread crumbs with little milk helps to make the balls moist.
- Adding raw grated onion to the mixture. When onion gets cooked it releases moisture and help to keep the protein moist.
- Because we are going to cook the meatballs again in a sauce, cook the meatballs little underdone. While resting the meatballs will cook little further. And while cooking in sauce it will be done.
Couple of other tips while making meatball are
- Drain the minced chicken to get rid of any extra water. Too much water in will make it difficult to shape.
- Shape the meatballs with slightly wet hand. Wet hands prevents the mixture from sticking to hand.
- If you are not sure about the seasoning ,make a small ball and cook. Then you can check the seasoning and adjust.