Creamy Chorizo Potato Soup is a rich, delicious and soul-satisfying meal on a cold winter night. Serve this creamy potato soup with a side of crusty bread.
Winter is almost coming to an end, so is the soup season. We have to wait one long year for enjoying a bowl of cozy soup. So before it gets warmer, I am trying a few more interesting soups. There are lots of potato soup recipe out there. If you love thick creamy potato soup, then I am sure you are going to love this version as well.
This smokey Chorizo potato soup I had prepared a few weeks back. It is so hearty and filling. Once the potato is cooked, it makes the soupyou don’t have to add gallons of cream to make it creamy.
This is for the first time I tried Chorizo. We really liked it because it is spicy and quite flavourful. If you have any interesting recipe with Chorizo, then would love to hear from you. I served some crusty sourdough bread on the side and it was a winning combo.
This soup is one pot and takes 30- 40 minutes to make. This soup can also be made in a slow cooker and Instant Pot, all you have to do is adjust the cooking time.
If you are making in a slow cooker, brown the chorizo in a pan and then add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. At the end add milk and cook for another 30 minutes on low. Instant pot version would be even quicker than stove top. So it’s up to you which method you choose. This soup can easily be made in bulk and refrigerated up to 4 days. If it is very thick, then add warm stock to it while reheating and you are good to go.
CHORIZO POTATO RECIPE VIDEO
Few more soup recipe you might like
- 8-10 Ounce Spicy Chorizo crumbled in to small chunks
- 15 Ounce potato Peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 medium Onion Chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 tspn Cumin Powder
- 1 tspn dried thyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup full fat milk
- Salt to taste
- Heat a pot.Add Oil
- Once the oil is medium-hot, add Chopped Onion. Fry till it softens.
- Add minced garlic. Cook till aromatic (avoid burning)
- Add chorizo. Cook 4- 5 minutes. It will start to release oil and color would change.
- Add Cubed potato. Cook on medium heat 5-7 minutes.
- Add Cumin Powder, thyme and season with salt. Mix well.
- Add Chicken Stock and bay leaf. Cover and let it cook
- Stir in between. If required add more stock. Potatoes should be cooked and become soft.
- Once potatoes are cooked through,reduce the heat and add milk.
- Stir well. Cover and let it cook further for another 10 minutes on low heat.
- While serving, garnish with chopped green onion.
- The chorizo is spicy enough, so I have not added any chili powder. You can adjust the spices as per your preference.
- If you want to reduce the cooking time, substitute raw potato with cooked potatoes.