Kick Start your day with this Strawberry Pomegranate Breakfast Smoothie. This is Creamy, Healthy and Rich in Antioxidants.
From a smoothie hater to smoothie addict, here is how it happened. Breakfast is something I can't skip. As this is the first meal of the day, I have always preferred something savory. Typical South Indian Breakfast like Idli, Dosa, Upma or poha is regular at home. I never loved cereals in my breakfast, basically nothing sweet. So the habit I am talking about is for 30 + years. No amount of hurry or time crunch has changed this until I started my Low carb diet.
The easiest way of cutting down carb intake in a day was, to substitute my regular breakfast with eggs. The egg is the only thing that I can eat every single day. But days like Monday and Tuesday I don't eat non-veg including egg. This is some spiritual belief have been following for a long time. On these days I start my day with smoothies.
I mostly try to keep it low carb and protein rich. But Sometimes I add a small banana because it makes the smoothie extra creamy and filling too. We are getting loads of fresh strawberries now. Though they are mostly sour, I love the bright red color. I always end up getting a couple of packets everytime I visit the store. A few days back luckily I got hold of fresh strawberries which were a little sweeter and juicy. I and my little one almost finished one packet and rest 2 packets I had cleaned and kept in the refrigerator. Also had some fresh pomegranate arils that I had kept for my daughter. I had kept sliced banana in the freezer, so morning it took just 10 minutes to make this smoothie.
Why I love this Smoothie???
- There is no refined Sugar.
- This low in carb because in one serving of smoothie there is only half a banana. Yet enough to make a creamy and sweet smoothie.
- Made with greek yogurt. So loaded with good digestive bacteria, calcium and high in protein.
- Pomegranate and Strawberry are not only rich in antioxidants, they have many other important nutrients, vitamin, and minerals.
So overall this smoothie is a winner and one of the best ways to start the weekend. If you want to keep it very low in carb, then don't add banana, instead, add vanilla or strawberry flavored protein powder.
STRAWBERRY POMEGRANATE SMOOTHIE
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (Preferable chilled)
- 1.5 cup Strawberries cleaned and frozen
- 1 large banana sliced and frozen
- 1.5 cup Fresh Pomegranate Juice
- Sweetner as per taste (optional)
- Add all the ingredients in a blender and process till smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- Increase or decrease the quantity if pomegranate juice, as per the thickness required.
- Best way to make fresh pomegranate Juice is to put the seeds in a metal strainer and press in the back of the spoon. It is less messy and healthier than packaged juice.