Stuffed Chicken breast is a fun way to cook chicken breast. Stuffed with a mixture of cheese, roasted mushroom, and spinach and then baked for an incredible Chicken dinner.
I can think of no reason why have I not shared this incredible Stuffed Chicken Recipe here before. Chicken, mushroom, cheese together works so well. To up the flavor game, there is a layer of marinara sauce in it. When the chicken gets cooked, it also creates a buttery pan juice in the skillet.
This is so easy to make with a handful of pantry ingredients. And You just can't hide the excitement of cutting it and watching the delicious cheesy stuffing oozing out.
There are so many ways you can use spinach. I have used it soups - Red Lentil Soup With Spinach & Healthy Spinach Soup, in pasta - Creamy Spinach Pasta, as a wonderful filling in Spinach Corn Sandwich - Video recipe, a delicious appetizer - Creamy spinach stuffed portobello mushrooms and there is a very popular Indian curry - Palak Matar Curry ( Spinach and Green Peas Curry).
Ingredients You Need
I love how versatile this recipe is. What to put in stuffed chicken breast is totally up to you. Below is the list of ingredients you need for this recipe. All these work together beautifully and compliments the flavor.
Chicken Breast: Well, Obviously 🙂
Marinara Sauce: A good quality marinara sauce. It has to be a little thick so that it doesn't ooze out while stuffing.
Mushroom: Button mushroom sliced and then roasted until crispy. Using raw mushrooms in the stuffing will release moisture to the stuffing when cooked. And also roasted mushroom is more flavourful.
Cheese: A mix of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. You could use only Mozzarella.
Spinach: Blanch spinach, drain well, and chop. Alternatively, use frozen Spinach.
Seasoning: To season the chicken, so that it doesn't taste bland.
How to make
Prep the Stuffing - Start with the mushroom cheese stuffing. It is important to cook the mushroom well and also to squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach.
Butterfly the chicken - Next is to butterfly the chicken. Use a sharp knife to cut it horizontally(lengthwise). Don't cut the chicken all the way through. Place your hand on the chicken breast to hold it and move the knife to slice it halfway through. Refer to the recipe video after recipe instruction to see how to cut the chicken for stuffing.
Fill stuffing - Fill the stuffing and seal the edges with a toothpick.
Cook - Cook on a hot skillet for a couple of minutes on both sides and put it in the oven until it is cooked through.
How long to cook Stuffed Chicken Breast
We are cooking stuffed chicken breast in two steps in this recipe. First is searing in a hot cast iron skillet and then finishing it off in the oven.
Searing chicken for 2 minutes on each side until little brown spots appear. Then bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
The baking time also depends on the thickness of the chicken breast. It is done when the thickest part of the chicken breast registers 165 degrees.
Stuffed Chicken breast with cheese, mushroom, spinach can be a meal in itself. I prefer a light green salad or maybe pasta salad or some rice.
More Chicken Recipe...
Mushroom Stuffed Chicken breast
- 4 large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or adjust as per taste)
For Cheese Mushroom Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 200 grams Mushroom Sliced
- ½ tablespoon minced Garlic
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- ¼ cup Shredded Parmesan
- ⅓ cup frozen Spinach well drained
- ½ cup Marinara Sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Make the Cheese Mushroom Stuffing
- Heat butter in a skillet. Add sliced mushroom. Cook until it has softened (for about 5 minutes)
- Add minced garlic to the mushroom and cook further until mushroom is nicely browned and no liquid in the pan. Let the mushroom cool a bit.
- In a bowl add Mozzarella, parmesan, cooled roasted mushroom, well-drained spinach,a pinch of pepper and mix well.
Cutting the Chicken breast
- Pat dry Chicken breast with a kitchen towel.
Using a sharp knife cut the chicken lengthwise halfway through, taking care not to cut it till the end. Cut it open flat.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce.
- Spoon 2 heaping tablespoon of cheese mushroom stuffing. Slightly press it.
Cover the chicken and using a toothpick seal the edges.
- Mix paprika, Italian seasoning, and salt. Season both sides of stuffed Chicken breast well.
Cooking Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy ovenproof Cast Iron Skillet.
- Sear Chicken breast for 2 minutes on each side.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove the toothpick, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.