This post may include affiliate links that earn us a small commission.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning is a perfect blend of spices easily available in your pantry. This rustic seasoning is spicy, smokey and can be used in various ways.
You would always find a jar of this Spicy Cajun seasoning mix in my pantry. It is super easy to make with ingredients you will most likely already have on hand. This seasoning can be used as a marinade, in dips, soups, rice dishes or can be sprinkled on french fries.
Flavours In Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes straight to your inbox
Homemade Cajun seasoning comes in quite handy as it works well with just about anything. If stored well, it stays fresh for months.
Why homemade Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun Spice Mix Originated in Louisiana, the home of cajun cuisine. Though the list of spices is predominately paprika, chilli powder, garlic powder, the ratio might differ from recipe to recipe.
I would prefer a bottle of Homemade Cajun seasoning over a store-bought one any day. Packed ones are usually high on salt and might also contain MSG. While in homemade seasoning, you can control the spice(make it more / less spicy) and also salt. Making this at home just takes minutes.
The list of ingredients are as follows
Cayenne – Makes the seasoning spicy. Use this as per your spice tolerance.
Ground Black Pepper
Smoked Paprika – Adds beautiful smokiness to the dish. This is optional else substitute with paprika.
I have not added salt in the seasoning, this gives you the liberty of adjusting the salt in the final dish.
How To Make Cajun Seasoning?
Once you gather the ingredients, you just mix everything well and store it in an airtight container. No need of running it in a blender or mixer.
If stored well it stays well for up to 6 months. But trust me if you have a bottle handy, you would end up putting it on almost everything.
Recipe ideas to use Cajun Seasoning
You can use this spicy blend in just everything.
- Use it to marinate protein. Use salt, required amount of seasoning and oil. Rub, let it sit for sometime and cook.
- One of favourite way to use it in these Air fryer Chicken Wings. Pat dry the chicken wings, rub the seasoning and cook as per instruction. Perfectly spicy and crispy Chicken Wings ready in no time.
- Few more interesting ideas to use Cajun seasoning are
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- 2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- Measure and mix all the ingredients well.
- Store in an airtight container.
- ** Use fresh spices for the best flavour. The seasoning will also last longer if fresh spices are used.