Sweet and Sour Crispy Chicken Wings
Crispy baked chicken wings are tossed in a sweet, sour and sticky sauce. These chicken wings are addictive and perfect party appetizer.
Servings 24 wings
For the Chicken Wings
- 800 grams Chicken Wings (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
For Sweet and Sour Sauce
- ¾ Cup honey
- ½ Cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1.5 tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tspn Garlic Powder or 2 garlic cloves minced finely
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 centigrade).
Using a kitchen towel, pat dry chicken wings. Less moisture equals more crispy skin.
In a big mixing bowl or ziplock bag add chicken wings, baking powder, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Toss well so that chicken is coated evenly.
Place a wired rack on a baking tray. Spray cooking oil or brush oil using a pastry brush. ( This step is to prevent wings from sticking to the rack).
Spread the chicken wings in a single layer with skin side up, preferably a little apart.
Bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until the wings are crispy and brown.
While the wings are in the oven, make the sauce. Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer. Reduce the sauce to a syrup-like consistency. (refer note 3)
Toss baked crispy chicken wings in the sauce until well coated. Drizzle any leftover sauce on top while serving.
- You can substitute apple cider vinegar with regular vinegar. But Apple cider vinegar gives a nice fruity punch to the sauce.
- Adjust the amount of honey and vinegar as per your preference. You can always taste the sauce and adjust it.
- The sauce thickens while cooling down. So make sure you don't cook the sauce to a very thick consistency. If the sauce has thickened too much, add a splash of hot water and warm a little bit.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 78kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 98mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 39IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg