Crispy baked chicken wings are tossed in a sweet, sour, and sticky sauce. These chicken wings are addictive and the perfect party appetizer.
Let's take a moment and look at those Crispy Baked Chicken Wings with that glossy sweet and sour sauce. These Sweet and Sour chicken wings are the best ever Asian appetizer I have ever made. The sauce is sticky and sweet with a hint of sourness. You can't stop licking your finger at the end.
If you are hosting a weekend party, then don't forget to include these in your menu planning.
The sauce is perfectly balanced. It has the right amount of sweetness and sourness. While there are a lot of recipes that use white sugar/ Brown sugar, the sweetness comes from honey in the case of these wings.
There is no difference in taste when you substitute sugar with honey because I have tried both versions. Another good thing about these Sweet and Sour chicken wings is, they are baked not fried.
Tips for Perfect Crunchy Chicken Wings.
Whether you use wings with or without skin, you need to follow below few steps for the perfect crispy outer skin
- Make sure the wings are not wet and water dripping from it. Place the wings on a kitchen towel and press gently to make sure there is no extra liquid.
- Chicken wings should be at room temperature while cooking
- While tossing the wings in baking powder and cornstarch mixture, do it in batches. Don't add the mixture all at once. This ensures the wings are evenly coated.
- Once the wings are cooked it starts to release water. So place the cooked wings on a wired rack until you toss it with the sauce.
If you are making this for a big crowd, you can make bake the wings and make the sauce beforehand. And Just before serving, heat the sauce and toss in the crispy wings.
Steps To Make Crispy Baked Chicken Wings In Oven
When we are talking about chicken wings how can I forget about these Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Wings.
Sweet and Sour Crispy Chicken Wings
For the Chicken Wings
- 800 grams Chicken Wings (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
For Sweet and Sour Sauce
- ¾ Cup honey
- ⅓ Cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1.5 tablespoon Dark soy sauce
- 1 tspn Garlic Powder or 2 garlic cloves minced finely
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 centigrade).
- Using a kitchen towel, pat dry chicken wings. Less moisture equals more crispy skin.
- In a big mixing bowl or ziplock bag add chicken wings, baking powder, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Toss well so that chicken is coated evenly.
- Place a wired rack on a baking tray. Spray cooking oil or brush oil using a pastry brush. ( This step is to prevent wings from sticking to the rack).
- Spread the chicken wings in a single layer with skin side up, preferably a little apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until the wings are crispy and brown.
- While the wings are in the oven, make the sauce. Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer. Reduce the sauce to a syrup-like consistency. (refer note 3)
- Toss baked crispy chicken wings in the sauce until well coated. Drizzle any leftover sauce on top while serving.
- You can substitute apple cider vinegar with regular vinegar. But Apple cider vinegar gives a nice fruity punch to the sauce.
- Adjust the amount of honey and vinegar as per your preference. You can always taste the sauce and adjust it.
- The sauce thickens while cooling down. So make sure you don't cook the sauce to a very thick consistency. If the sauce has thickened too much, add a splash of hot water and warm a little bit.
Leave a Reply