Flavours In Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes straight to your inbox
One of the most exciting Indian festival just come into an end. Friends, crackers and loads of food.We were almost in a food coma after godging on sweets and rich food. We almost switched to khichdi diet forcouple of days and happilyrelaxingat homeenjoyingtheawesomeweather.
But when I got to know few of our friends will be visiting us over weekend, I was clueless about the menu.After spending almost an entire week gorging on rich high calorie food,I was really not prepared to have them alloveragain. After putting some thought came with asimple and satisfying 3 course menu. prepared soup keeping the weather in mind,rice,kadhi,Aloo Bahaja (potato stir fry), baingan ka bharta(mashed smoked eggplant),palak paneer and to wrap the meal warm cranberry poached pear with whipped cream.The menu was not overdone and needless to say we all had afabulouslunch with a happy tummy.
Even if you are not a big fan of fruits,you should give this a try.Cranberry juice is spiced with some ginger and star anise,makes it idealfor the winter. If you are planing tothrowa partyfor thanks giving, then this would be a wisechoiceas it can be made ahead andkept.Justbeforeservingwarm a little bit and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
If you want to go little creative on serving part then get pears of smaller size,poach and serve in shot glasses. A perfect party type dessert isn’t it.
Pears poached in spiced cranberry juice
- 3 pear medium sized
- 3 cups cranberry juice
- orange juice and zest of an
- Handful cranberries dried
- ½ - ¾ cups sugar
- 1 inch ginger piece fesh , juliened
- 2 - 3 star anise
- cream whipped to serve
- In a heavy bottom pan add juice,cranberry,orange juice, zest, star anise,ginger,sugar and bring everything to a gentle boil.
- Mean while clean and peel the pears, Make not so deep slits on the pear.
- Place the pears in the pan so that it is completely submerged inside the juice.
- Let it cook for 30-45 minutes till the pear are cooked and soft.