I came across this curry for the first time in Masterchef Australia.Jules had prepared a delicious Chicken Ayam passed down to her from generations. When i searched there were lot of versions floating around the internet. Most of them had same set of ingredients except one or two.Kari ayam has all commonly used Indian spices in it. Few versions had shrimp paste in it. As there were no foreign ingredient, it was a safe bet to try. It turned out to be delicious. Coconut milk gave the gravy a creamy texture.
Kari ayam ( malaysian chicken curry)
- 500 grams Chicken
- 2 Potatoes medium
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 2 pods Cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- pinch Nutmeg A big
- 1 star anise
- 1 sprig curry leave
- 1/2 cup water
For Spice paste:
- 18 - 20 chillies dried red
- 1/2 inch turmeric Raw
- 3 tsps Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Fennel
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seed
- 1/2 tsp Black peppercorn
- Dry roast Coriander,Cumin,Fennel,Fenugreek and peppercorn until you get a nice aroma.
- Grind together Red chilli,Shallotes,Roasted Spices to a paste( I prefer a coarse paste as it gives a good texture).
- In a Pan heat oil.Slightly crush the whole masalas and add to oil.
- Once the spice gets a nice color add the prepared paste.Fry for 4-5 mins till oil separates.
- Add potatoes and fry in high flame for another 2-3 mins.
- Add chicken and fry in high flame for another 4-5 mins.
- Add in the water and let it come to a boil.
- Add coconut milk ,stir it and switch off the gas.