These rich,melt-in-mouth Shortbread cookies are my new favourite. These cookies can be prepared with a minimal number of ingredients. I find these cookies very versatile and base for many variants. Use your imagination with flavours, shape and size and you will be surprised to see how the base dough just mingles with any flavours.
I added some orange zest to the dough. Orange and chocolate go very well with each other, So dipped the cookies into melted dark chocolate. Then comes another twist. I had some hazelnuts in my pantry, so to give some extra crunch and nuttiness, dusted the chocolate dipped ones with powdered hazelnut.
So now you must have got an idea of how versatile these cookies are. Other variations could be some chocolate chips to the dough, Instant espresso powder, candied fruits or sandwiching two shortbread cookies between a layer of Nutella or dul de Leche.
Chocolate dipped Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tspns salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (226 grams)
- ½ cup sugar powdered (confectioners or icing) (60 grams)
- 1 orange orange Fresh Zest of
For Chocolate Dipping
- 100 gms dark chocolate semi sweet
For Hazelnut Coating
- ½ cup hazelnut slightly toasted and powdered
- In a bowl mix flour and salt.Keep aside.
- In a big mixing bowl, add softened butter. Beat butter using a hand mixer until smooth and looks pale. Add sugar and beat till the mixture is smooth, fluffy and looks pale in colour.
- Add flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Shift the cookies dough onto a cling wrap. Shape the dough to a tight log/cylinder shape. Seal from both sides and refrigerate for 1 hours.
- Take out the rolled dough out of the refrigerator. Keep it out for 15-20 mins.
- Using a sharp knife cut the log into ½ inch slices. Arrange in a baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius .
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned around the edges. Cool on a wire rack.
- Finely chop chocolate and melt it using a double boiler method or in microwave (String in between) .
- Dip one end of cooled cookies into the chocolate and sprinkle powdered hazelnut on both the sides. Place on a wired rack. Once chocolate hardens store in a air-tight container.