This rich,melt-in-mouth cookies are my new favourite. These cookies can be prepared with minimal number of ingredients. I find these cookies very versatile and base for many variants. Use your imagination with flavours,shape and size and you will be surprised to see how the base dough just mingles with any flavours.
I added some orange zest to the dough. Orange and chocolate goes very well with each other,So dipped the cookies into melted dark chocolate. Then comes another twist. I had some hazelnuts in my pantry, so to give some extra crunch and nuttiness, dusted the chocolate dipped ones with powdered hazelnut.
So now you must have got an idea how versatile these cookies are. Other variations could be some chocolate chips to the dough, Instant espresso powder, candid fruits or sandwich two shortbread cookies between a layer of nutella ordul de leche.
Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tspns salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (226 grams)
- ½ cup sugar powdered (confectioners or icing) (60 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract pure (4 grams)
- 1 orange orange Fresh Zest of
For Chocolate Dipping
- 200 gms dark chocolate semi sweet
For Hazelnut Coating
- ½ cup hazelnut slightly toasted and powdered
- In a bowl mix flour and salt.Keep aside.
- In a big mixing bowl, add soften butter. Beat butter using a hand mixer until smooth and looks pale. Add sugar and beat till the mixture is smooth,fluffy and looks pale in colour. Beat in Vanilla extract.
- Add flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Shape the dough into a ball and made a disk. Wrap in a cling wrap and chill the dough in refrigerator at least or till the dough firms up. (I kept overnight)
- Take out the dough from refrigerator and keep for 10 -15 minutes just to soften the dough little bit. Then on a floured surface roll the dough to ¼ inch thick circle. Cut into rounds or any other desired shape using cookie cutter dipped in flour. Arrange the shaped dough on a prepared baking sheet and place the sheet in refrigerator. (Note : For better handling the dough, spread cling wrap on a working surface. Slightly flour it. Then roll the dough on it. It helps in preventing cookies from sticking and also makes it easier to take out the cut cookies).
- While cookies are chilling in refrigerator and firming up, pre-heat oven to 180 degree Celsius .
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Finely chop chocolate and melt it using a double boiler method or in microwave (String in between) .
- Dip one end of cooled cookies into the chocolate and sprinkle powdered hazelnut on both the sides. Place on a wired rack. Once chocolate hardens store in a air-tight container.