'Pide' sounds like a fancy word,isn't it ? Well this is nothing but a kind of Turkish pizza. Along with other different varieties of bread, pide is also a very popular snacks.
First time I came across this in a TV food show. I was amazed to see so many varieties of bread that they do at Turkey. Kebabs again is a very well know street food at Turkey. Pide is prepared with meat (lamb/beef),vegetables and also Spinach Cheese. So its up to you to decide what are you going to use as filling. I have used lamb and did the filling little bit on spicier side. The bread base was supper soft and moist.
Got a beautiful recipe here pide. She has explained each and every step clearly.
Turkish Lamb Pide
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cups milk warm
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
For lamb filling:
- 500 gm lamb Finely minced
- 1 Onion large
- 2 cloves Garlic ( I used 6)
- 2 tbsps Butter Vegetable oil or
- 1/2 tsp Cumin ( I used 1 tsp slightyl roasted cumin powder)
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala (optional,my addition)
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli flakes (optional,my addition)
- to taste salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice Fresh
- 2 tbsps mint Fresh chopped
- 1 tomato Medium
- bell pepper / Redgreen
- 1 Cup cheddar cheese Mozarella or
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
- In a big bowl put warm milk, sugar and yeast.Keep undisturbed for 10 minutes. It will start to bubble. Add egg,salt and oil.Mix everything well and add flour. Knead to a nice smooth,elastic dough.
- Oil a bowl and coat the dough ball well. Cover with a wet towel.Let the dough rest for up-to 1 hour until it double in sizes.
- Mean while heat a pan. Add butter/oil. Add minced garlic. Once it is aromatic,add chopped onion. Fry till onion is golden brown.
- Add minced lamb. Saute in high heat for 5-6 minutes. The lamb will start changing colour. Reduce flame add all dry spices. Let it cook till lamb is done.
- Add tomatoes,and chopped red bell pepper. Let it cook for 2-3 more minutes. Stir in between.Switch off the gas.
- Add chopped mint,lemon juice and give everything a good mix.Keep aside and let it cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degree Celsius.
- Punch down the dough and release all trapped gas. Take out dough on a lightly floured surface. Divide into two pieces.
- Take one part, roll dough to a oval shape. Then transfer the oval shaped dough to a lined baking sheet. Using hand stretch the dough a little more. It should turn to an oval shape. Dust top with some cornflour.
- Spread half of the cooled mixture on the shaped dough. Spread half of grated cheese on top. I have sprinkled some fresh cottage cheese in one and some sliced mushroom on another pide.
- Fold the side,bring together the end and pinch together. Shape the dough like boat. Refer this step by step pictures on how to shape.
- Lightly beat one egg. Using a pastry dough brush the edges of shaped dough. Pour couple of spoon of egg above the filling. Sprinkle sesame seed on the edges.
- Bake pide for 25- 30 minutes or until it looks golden brown.
- Once done let it rest for 5 minutes,then sprinkle some zaatar on top. Slice and serve warm.