Sweet Chili Pineapple sauce is a twist to the popular Thai Sweet Chili sauce. Made with just a few basic ingredients, this Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce with pineapple will be the only dipping sauce you will ever need.
Once you try this simple homemade Sweet Chili Pineapple sauce recipe, I am sure you would stop buying it from the store. Basic ingredients such as chilli flakes, sugar, vinegar go into this beautiful sauce. The addition of pineapple gives the sauce a good kick.
This versatile sauce has the right balance of hot and sweet taste. It barely takes 20 minutes to make this. So next time when you run out of sauce, I insist you give this sauce a try.
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce is readily available in any Asian supermarket at an affordable price. But when you look at the ingredients list, it will give you a shock. While you can make your very own Sweet Chili Sauce at home, why go for the ones loaded with preservatives, right?
Sweet Chili Sauce is an excellent dipping sauce for spring rolls, fried wontons, even for Indian snacks such as pakoras, samosa etc.
The usage is not limited as a dip, try tossing crispy fried chicken wings in this sauce or toss some baby carrots in the sauce and bake. I guess I have convinced you enough to make this sauce.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE PINEAPPLE JUICE?
You can substitute the pineapple juice with plain water. But then it will not be Sweet Chili Pineapple Sauce any more. But the sauce will still be delicious.
The amount of sugar depends on the sweetness of pineapple juice. So adjust sugar accordingly. The amount of chilli flakes to use again depends on how hot it is.
CAN I USE FRESH RED PEPPERS?
Authentic Thai Sweet Chili Sauce uses fresh red chilli peppers. Depending on how hot is the pepper, adjust the quantity. Put them in a food processor and mince really fine.
Use this sauce to make a variation of this SWEET AND SPICY THAI GRILLED CHICKEN.
SWEET CHILI PINEAPPLE SAUCE RECIPE VIDEO
Sweet Chilli-Pineapple Sauce
- 1.5 cups white sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar or Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1-2 tbsp Red chili flakes ( I have added 2 small dry Bird's eye chili while making flakes)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup (optional )
- 1 teaspoon salt (more as per taste)
- 2 tbsps cornflour
- 4 tbsps water cold
- In a large heavy bottom pan add sugar, pineapple juice , vinegar , salt. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add chili flakes, minced garlic and ketchup. Boil on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Mix cornflour and cold water. Lower the heat and stir in slowly, trying to avoid lumps.
- Cook the mixture on low heat till it thickens and comes to desired sauce like consistency. (The sauce will thicken when it cools down.)
- Store cooled sauce in sterilized bottle. Refrigerate.