These amazing Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers with sweet and savoury Teriyaki Sauce are absolutely delicious. Tender Chicken, crunchy peppers and Onion, these chicken skewers are perfect appetizers.
Have you already dusted off your grill? Because summer is already here and it is the time for grilling /barbecue. If you are like me, then I am sure you would not wait for the summer to make these amazing Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers.
We don’t have a backyard where we leave, so there is no scope of having an outdoor grill. So most of the time I make grilled chicken skewers on the stove top in my favourite Grilled Pan. Occasionally we do barbecue party outdoors, and you would find me around the grill basting the skewers. I absolutely love the smokey flavour that it lends to the meat.
Before I start telling you about these Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers, here is another favourite Grilled Rosemary Chicken Kebabs. Minced chicken, fresh rosemary, fresh lemon zest, makes these Kebabs delicious.
How to make Teriyaki Sauce?
Sometime around last year, there was a huge rage about Teriyaki Chicken on Pinterest. Teriyaki recipes were all over the Pinterest. They Teriyaki Sauce recipe seemed easy and quick. But When I did a little more research I found that real authentic Teriyaki Sauce calls for two important ingredients called Mirin and Sake. These two are popular Japanese ingredients used for making the real Teriyaki Sauce. It helps to get the real Umami flavour to the dish.
Here in India, it is very difficult to get the above two ingredients, So I kept on postponing to make the sauce. I tried bottled teriyaki Sauce but not happy with the flavours. Once during my visit to a gourmet store, I came across Mirin and I grabbed it. I at least had one main component of authentic Teriyaki Sauce.
Teriyaki Sauce mainly has only three ingredients Soy Sauce, Mirin and Sake. You can also add other ingredients like honey or Brown Sugar, Garlic, Ginger to the base sauce.
In this Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers recipe, I used Soy Sauce, Mirin, Rice Wine Vinegar( Instead of Sake), Garlic and Honey. The sauce was sweet, salty and perfectly balanced.
How to make Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers?
Authentic Teriyaki Chicken calls for Chicken Thighs. There is no doubt that chicken thigh is juicier than the breast. I have used Chicken Breast for the skewers. I prefer Chicken breast over Chicken thigh when it comes Chicken Skewers. Chicken Breast pieces hold well in the skewers, compared to chicken thighs.
Once the Teriyaki Sauce is ready I used a couple of teaspoons of it to marinate Chicken. Rest of the sauce I reduced in a pan till it is syrup-like consistency. You don’t need any thickening agent like cornflour to make the sauce thick. The honey would reduce and help to thicken the sauce. Using cornflour makes the sauce cloudy and it dilutes the flavour.
When the skewers were ready, brush them with the reduced sauce. I love how glossy these skewers look.
Can I make Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl?
Offcourse you can. I love food in a bowl. With Layers of texture, rice bowls are my favourite.
So if you have any leftover Chicken Skewers( Which I doubt), then make a rice bowl out of it. Add your favourite veggie like Broccoli, Green Beans, Zucchini and make a complete meal. Drizzle any extra sauce on the top. Look how vibrant my Teriyaki Chicken Bowl looks.
When we are taking so much about grilling recipes, you must check this basic EASY GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST WITH BUTTERMILK MARINADE.
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breast
- 2 Cups Assorted pepper cut into cubes
- 2 large onions Cut in to large cubes
- 2 tspn cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper as per taste
- 10-12 Wooden Skewres (Soaked in water for 15 minutes)
- 1/4 cup low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp Rice Wine vinegar Or Sake
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- .5 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1/2 tspn Red chili flakes Optional
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients mentioned under Sauce. MIx everything well.
- Take a big bowl, add boneless chicken cubes. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Add two tablespoons of the sauce. Mix well. cover the bowl in a cling wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Add onions and peppers to the marinated chicken. Give everything a good toss.
- Thread Chicken pieces, Onions and pepper cubes alternately to the skewer. Leaving little space to both the ends.
- Meanwhile, take the remaining sauce in a pan. Cook it on low-medium heat till it is reduced and have a thin syrup like consistency
- Grill the Skewer for 3-4 minutes per side or until the meat is done.
- Remove the chicken skerwers from the grill and baste with the reserved sauce.
- Serve Immedietley.