Fresh Roasted Corn Salad is packed with sweet corns, cucumber, tomato, onion and tossed in a lemony salad dressing. Charred corn ads a lot of flavour to the salad. This quick salad is a perfect side dish in summer BBQs or for potlucks.
Packed with fresh summer produce, this Roasted Corn salad is simple and really easy to make. Sweet and Juicy corn kernels are roasted first, which adds so much flavour to the salad. The salad dressing is tangy with heat from chilli powder and roasted cumin powder.
This salad has all the Mexican flavours in it if you love Mexican style corn.
If you are planning for taking this salad to potluck or backyard barbeque party, this is a perfect salad to make it ahead. It can easily be made for a larger crowd.
ROASTING CORN FOR SALAD
Roasted Corn is the gamechanger here. The charred bits of corn kernels enhance the sweetness and also adds smokiness to the dish. There are a couple of ways to roast Corn, it is up to your convenience.
On a skillet- Use a cast iron skillet to get the perfect charred effect. Add corn kernels to a hot greased cast iron skillet. Roast it on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes stirring continuously, until you see charred spots. In the video below I have used a Cast Iron skillet to roast the corn.
On Stovetop Grill- Another way of roasting Corn would be on a grill pan. Using a pastry brush apply oil to the corn on the cob. Season it with salt and pepper. Cook on a grill pan until the corn looks charred.
On BBQ grill- If you are outdoor with access to a BBQ grill, then grill some seasoned corn directly on the grill until charred.
STEPS TO MAKE ROASTED CORN SALAD
Corn- Use freshest seasonal Corn. Grill corn in any one of the above methods and keep aside to cool. Make sure roasted corn is completely cool before adding any other vegetables, else other veggies would lose its crispiness.
Vegetables- Start with fresh cucumber, cherry tomatoes, onion. Fresh veggies will give crunchiness. You can also add chopped red or green bell pepper, Jalapeno for extra heat. You can also add diced Avocado just before serving. Coming fresh herbs,
Salad Dressing - A simple Olive oil Salad Dressing with roasted cumin powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, Fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. The tangy dressing balances the sweetness of the corn salad well. It can be made ahead and stored.
If you are planning to prepare this salad ahead, then don't add the chopped coriander and dressing. Keep the salad separately in an airtight container. Just before serving add fresh coriander and the salad dressing.
More Summer Salad Recipe
Roasted Corn Salad
- 3 cobs Fresh Corn
- 1 cup Chopped Cucumber
- 1 cup Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup Chopped Fresh Coriander
For Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start with roasting corn kernel. Heat a castiron skillet until smoking hot. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roast the corn kernels for about 5-6 minutes, stirring in between, until the corn looks charred and smells really good.
- Keep the corn aside and let it cool completely before adding other vegetables.
- Mix well all the ingredients for the dressing and keep aside.
- For making the salad, in a salad bowl add cooled Roasted Corn, chopped Cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes, onion and fresh Coriander.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing and toss everything well.