Rigatoni in a creamy spinach and Italian sausage sauce is a delicious pasta dinner. The sauce is flavored with fennel, chili flakes, and Italian seasoning, making it incredibly flavourful.
This sausage rigatoni has the most flavourful cream sauce. If you would like to take a break from your regular tomato pasta sauce, then you gotta try this pasta recipe. Caramelized sausage is infused with crushed fennel, chili flakes, and herbs. Perfectly creamy parmesan sauce without being heavy or rich.
A Bowl of this sausage pasta is pure comfort. Rigatoni is a tubular-shaped pasta, that holds the sauce well. My daughter especially loves this pasta shape. But you can use any shape of pasta.
Flavours In Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes straight to your inbox
What you need
Below is the list of ingredients you need for making Sausage Rigatoni pasta with sausage, along with a few other variations.
- Rigatoni – These are tube-like pasta. You can also use any other shape of pasta of your preference.
- Sausage – Fresh Italian sausage ground or link sausage. I have used mild Italian Sausage. Remove the casing and crumble.
- Spinach – Chopped spinach or if using frozen, thaw it and squeeze excess water from it. kale is also a good alternative.
- Seasoning and spices – Fennel is widely used in Italian cuisine. Crush fennel roughly in a mortar and pestle to release some of its oil. Chilli flakes for heat. Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Onion and garlic
- Olive oil
- Flour – to thicken the sauce.
- Cream – heavy cream for a rich sauce. For a lighter version can use half and half.
- Dry white wine – I love the complex flavor that White wine gives. Reduce white wine to half the quantity until the alcohol smell is gone.
- Chicken stock
- Freshly grated parmesan
Sausage Rigatoni – Steps to make
Ground sausage doesn’t need long to cook. Place a pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, start making the sausage pasta sauce.
- Saute onion and garlic in hot oil until aromatic. Cook ground sausage ( if using link sausage, remove the casing and break it into smaller chunks with the back of a spatula).
- Midway through, add crushed fennel, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and pepper. Brown the sausage.
- Deglaze the pan with wine, and scrub the bottom of the pan to release any brown bits.
- Once the wine has reduced to less than half, stir in the flour and cook for a minute
- Next is to add chicken stock, cream give everything a mix. Add chopped spinach and freshly grated parmesan. Mix well.
- Add cooked pasta. Switch off the flame and toss everything well. To adjust the sauce consistency add more pasta cooking water.
Like any other pasta, you can refrigerate leftover Sausage Rigatoni pasta in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Pasta might soak up all the liquid, so while reheating add some warm chicken stock or water to loosen it.
- 250 grams pasta
- 500 grams sausage
- 2-3 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel
- 1.5 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Cook pasta as per package instructions. Save 1 cup of pasta cooking water.
- Heat oil in a skillet or pan. Saute diced onion and garlic for about 1 minute until softened.
- Add ground sausage. If using link sausage, remove the casing and after adding it to the skillet break into small pieces with a wooden spatula.
- Cook sausage for 5-6 minutes until light brown in colour. Add crushed fennel, chili flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Saute for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with dry white wine. Let the white wine cook down to almost half. Then stir in the flour and cook for a minute.
- Lower the heat, add heavy cream, chicken stock. Give everything a good mix. Add chopped spinach to the sauce. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Add grated parmesan and mix. Stir in the cooked rigatoni and mix to coat pasta.
- Serve with more parmesan on top.