This Cajun Sausage and peppers skillet with caramelized onions, Crunchy peppers, is so flavourful. You need less than 30 minutes and one pan to make this dinner on a busy weeknight.
Sausage and Peppers Skillet in Cajun seasoning is a no-fuss dinner that the whole family is going to love. Use Italian Sausage or any other variety you have on hand, lots of onions and colourful peppers. Serve this over rice or stuff it in a roll for a hearty dinner.
Easily available ingredients, one skillet and lots of flavours, I love such recipes. I always have a couple of varieties of sausages on hand. Sausage works great for a quick fix breakfast or a stir fry.
You can use any kind of sausage in this recipe. Mildly spicy Italian Sausage works the best but really I have tried with other variants I had at times and it works.
What Goes Into Sausage & Peppers Skillet?
The list of ingredients is really short for this Cajun Sausage and Pepper Skillet. Along with sausage, you need onion, garlic, peppers, tomato and cajun seasoning. The key here is to caramelize Onions until it has softened. Caramelized onion adds a hint of sweetness to every bite.
Assorted peppers add a pop of colour to the dish. Sometimes I throw in zucchini and other veggies when I need to use them up.
For a saucy version, can also add half a can of crushed tomato instead of Tomato Paste.
More Cajun Recipes you might like
Cajun Sausage and Pepper Skillet
- 1 pound Sausage
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 2 Medium Onion Sliced
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper
- 1 small Green Bell Pepper
- 1 small Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning (ref note)
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- ½ cup Chicken Stock
- Heat a cast Iron Skillet. Add a tablespoon of oil. Once hot add sliced sausage to the pan.
- Stir fry for 4-5 minutes until the sausage start to look brown around the edges. Then remove from the skillet and keep aside.
- Add rest of the oil. Stir in sliced Onion. Cook for a 2-3 minutes.
- Once the onion has softened, add garlic, sliced peppers. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and chicken stock. Mix everything well.
- Sprinkle Cajun Seasoning, followed by cooked sausage. Mix well.
- Add more stock if required. let everything cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame. Serve
- For a more saucy version, add half a can of crushed tomato instead of Tomato paste.
- Here is my Homemade Cajun Seasoning recipe. This recipe doesn't have salt, so make sure you add salt while adding the seasoning.
- Most of the packaged seasonings are high on salt and can be spicy. So adjust the quantity of salt accordingly.