This Crispy Tofu In Chinese Garlic Sauce is delicious with tons of flavor. Make this stir fry in just 20 minutes.
Prepared Crispy Tofu in Chinese Garlic Sauce Sunday evening to snack on. Sunday is always a day of indulgence and we have our lunch late afternoon. So it is obvious that we skip the dinner, Instead, I make something quickly like an appetizer for the dinner.
Most of my weekends are also lined up with lots of work. Shooting for the blog, working on the photography assignment, cleaning, dusting and the day end with spending time with the little one. Among all these things a quick dinner comes into rescue.
What we love about this Crispy Tofu in Chinese garlic Sauce the flavourful sauce. The sauce is a bomb, loaded with lots of garlic and chilli. The sweetness of the caramelized onion balances the spicy sauce.
Do you love Crispy tofu? Whenever I make this or any other recipe that calls for crispy tofu, I pop few of them before it makes to the final dish. Let me tell you a few tips for super crispy tofu with a soft centre.
How To Make Crispy Tofu?
Making Crispy Tofu is very easy. Few basic steps to prep the Tofu and you will be surprised with the outcome.
- Always choose extra firm Tofu among other varieties. As the name says it is firm and easy to work with.
- I always soak tofu in lightly salted warm water for 15 minutes. This helps in to soften and season the tofu. (I do this even with Paneer- Indian Cottage cheese).
- Last but most importantly drain extra moister. Keep Tofu on a clean kitchen towel/ tissue. Cover it with another layer of tissue. Place some heavy weight on it, heavy enough to put little pressure and squeeze out extra water.
Tofu is an excellent source of protein ( In 100gms 8 gms of Protein) and it is dairy free too. You can also substitute tofu with Panner(Indian Cottage cheese), chicken or Shrimps and make this dish.
Crispy Tofu In Chinese Garlic Sauce step by step recipe vIdeo :
Few more Chinese Inspired recipes you might like
Crispy Tofu In Chinese Garlic Sauce
- 250 gm tofu Fresh ,Cut into strips
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil Peaunut oil/
- 2 onions large , thinely sliced
- 1 Medium red bell pepper
- 8 - 10 pods garlic of
- ½ tbsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce light
- 1 tsp soy sauce dark
- 1 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- salt pepper and as per taste
- green onions green chillies Chopped and sliced to garnish
- In a large bowl, toss tofu strips with some oil,salt and pepper. Marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together rice vinegar, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Ketchup and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil. Arrange the tofu strips in a single layer. Let it cook undistuerbed on meduim-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Flips the strips and let it crisp on the other side. The tofu strips should look brown and crisp on both the sides.
- Remove and place on a kitchen towel/tissue paper to absorb extra oil.
- In the same pan add remaining oil. Once it is hot add in garlic, ginger, and red chili flakes. Fry over low heat for about 10-15 seconds, or until aromatic, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Increase the flame and add Sliced onion. Saute over high heat for a minute. Add red bell pepper and toss in high flame for about 1 minute. Make sure to stir and toss the vegitables well.
- Add the crisp tofu strips followed by the prepared sauce. Toss eveything well. Season with salt or pepper if required.
- The sauce will start to thicken. If it is very thick add 1-2 table spoons of water. Cook furter for a minute or so.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and green chillies.
- Serve hot as an appetizer or along with rice or noodles.