You need only 30 minutes to make this delicious Instant pot Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry. This fragrant and delicious Sweet Potato Curry made in the Instant Pot is Gluten-free and Vegan.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chickpea curry is incredibly delicious and easy to make. The silky smooth gravy has that fantastic Thai flavours from the Red Curry paste. It is the kind of curry, that I would label as the ultimate comfort food and can have all around the year. Using an Instant Pot instead of the stove top method doesn’t make this curry any less delicious.
By now you would have understood my love for curry. Give me a bowl of rice with any curry and I am a happy gal. Have you checked other curry recipes I have shared earlier? Here are a few of my favourites
By the way, this is my first Instant Pot Recipe on the blog. Yes!!!! Finally got my hands on the popular electric Pressure Cooker. For more than a year, I have been eying to get one. But honestly, I used to wonder whats so great about Instant Pot. After all, it is just a Pressure cooker and I have been seeing my mom using one since I am a kid. Why is everyone going gaga about this?
But after I got one and explored it, It changed my perception. I am quite impressed with the gadget. It is definitely better than the regular Pressure Cooker. If you have never cooked in a regular pressure cooker before I am sure it will scare the hell out of you. But on the contrary Instant Pot is easy to use with good safety features. It is even quicker than a pressure cooker and it has multiple functionalities. I am definitely going to explore it and try new recipes.
Now back to this Vegan Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry. With incredible flavours, this curry is healthy and nutritious. You can easily make a big batch of it and refrigerate. Pair it with rice or Quinoa, fresh cilantro and add a good squeeze of lemon while serving. The ingredients list for this Sweet Potato Curry is also very less. Store brought Red curry paste will work here, so no making from scratch business. To make it more aromatic, there is onion and garlic.
It is a great recipe for meal prep, with bare minimum preparation. Make a big batch and divide into glass containers.
CAN I USE CANNED CHICKPEAS?
I am always used to soak dry beans overnight and next day cook in a pressure cooker till tender. But surely you can use canned beans in this curry. Using canned beans makes the entire process one step easier.
If you are using dried chickpea for the recipe, then soak dried beans overnight. Next day cook soaked chickpeas with enough water in a Pressure Cooker or Instant pot for 25-30 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes, then release remaining pressure by placing the vault in the venting position.
Cooking Chickpea along with other ingredients while making the curry is not advisable, because it may result in overcooked Sweet Potato.
Adding Lemon Juice and Fish sauce at the end brings all the flavours together.
INSTANT POT SWEET POTATO CHICKPEA CURRY RECIPE VIDEO
- 200 grams Dried Chickpea
- 400 grams sweet potato
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 Medium onion Finely Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Minced garlic
- 50 grams Thai Red Curry Paste (around 1.5 - 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium Tomatoe chopped
- 1.5 Cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 tableSpoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tspn fish sauce
- Fresh Cilantro leaves for garnishing
- If using dried Chickpea, soak it at least for 6 hours or preferably Overnight.
- Cook soaked chickpeas in a traditional pressure cooker on high flame for 3-4 whistle, then lower the flame and cook for 10 more minutes. Switch off the flame. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Alternatively, you can also cook it an Instant Pot. Add soaked chickpeas and water to an instant pot. Cook on high for 25 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- If you are using canned chickpea, ignore above 3 steps and Start from the following step
- Turn Saute mode on in the Instant Pot. Once its ready, Add Oil and let it warm.
- Add chopped onion. Saute/ fry until it has softened and starts to brown.
- Add minced garlic and cook until the raw smell is gone.
- Add Red Curry Paste. Mis well and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped tomato. Cook untill tomato has softened and mixed with onion garlic mixture.
- Add cooked / Canned Chickpeas, Sweet Potato. Mix everything well.
- Add in Coconut milk to the Instant Pot. Season with salt. Mix everything well.
- Turn Manual mode to 'ON' . Set time to 15 mins. Put the valve to 'Sealing' mode. Close the lid and let it cook.
- When the timer is off, let it rest and let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then release pressure manually by moving the valve to 'Venting' position with the help of the back of a spoon.
- Add fresh lemon Juice and Fish Sauce. Stir everything well.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, Serve with rice and more lemon wedges.